Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-27-2008

ahalfon is on a distinguished road
Coolant Change

I have a Yanmar 2GM20F Diesel, and have not changed coolant during the two years that I've owned the boat.
I'm finally about to make amends, but I'm having trouble figuring out the proper procedure: The engine manual doesn't cover it, and the SELOC manual recommends a very complicated procedure involving several flushes with a coolant circuit cleaner (which I'm having trouble finding) before refilling.

Also, both recommend filling with a 50-50 mixture of water and antifreeze, and I've seen several posts claiming this is an old recommendation that should not be followed when using modern antifreezes.
I'd appreciate some educated opinions on both subjects...
Thanks,

Amir
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
it depends..

It all depends on whether you buy a pre-mixed 50/50 blend, which is much easier, or buy a concentrated gallon which you then dilute with water to 50/50.

If you buy full strength anti-freeze it's best to mix it with distilled water and not tap water. The standard ratio is still 50/50..

You may be confusing RV type antifreeze for the drinking water system which does not get diluted and is used at full strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-27-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I used the premixed long life that is good for iron and aluminum. I have read that using a 50-50 mix straight will cause damage to seals and gaskets. If after draining the antifreeze it looks contaminated I would flush it. I used a flushing liquid I got at the auto parts store.
Old 10-27-2008

I was indeed confused by the antifreeze used for the drinking water system (which I also use to winterize the raw water cooling side of the engine - hopefully OK?) Which would you recommend on the fresh side?
Thanks again,

Amir
Old 10-27-2008

BTW, I was referring to products such as the Seafit Engine & Water System Antifreeze sold at West Marine
Thanks,

Amir
Old 10-28-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Prestone or Peak antifreeze products are fine. Check out ...

Catalina 320 International Association - Coolant Change Procedure ‚Äď Yanmar 3GM30FC

or Google up "yanmar coolant change".
Old 10-28-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahalfon View Post
I was indeed confused by the antifreeze used for the drinking water system (which I also use to winterize the raw water cooling side of the engine - hopefully OK?) Which would you recommend on the fresh side?
Thanks again,

Amir
I would recommend either Prestone or Peak because they are always readily available. Furthermore buy it at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Wal*Mart etc. and you'll always be able to find that brand again.

Personally I would not convert an engine that has been run on regular "green" antifreeze to a Dex Cool product at this point in it's life. Stick with the regular old green stuff, if that's what it had in it, and do an engine flush, and you'll be fine..

Prestone -

Peak -

P.S. The Seafit stuff, if it comes in a windshield washer fluid shaped bottle, should only be used on the raw water side for winterizing. Seafit makes a fresh water side antifreeze (bottle looks like those above) but why pay MUCH more than you have to for engine antifreeze..??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-28-2008 at 07:48 AM.