Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-28-2008
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
How can I lower the mast by hand?

I'm looking for advice on how to lower my mast by hand
29 tanzer single spreader, on the hard at a marina 350 miles from home.
what tools do I need to bring?? What equipment setup would you recommend for lowering it? HTis is a one time deal.
I'm looking for an easily made tool (with materials I can buy from Lowes or something)
i will have 3 people (including myself) to manhandle the mast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
The only time we removed a mast by hand from a 23' boat, it was done in a marina while the boat was in the water. They had a kind of a gallows next to the bulkhead - boat would be docked under it, and then a manual hoist would be used to raise the mast.

I dropped the mast on smaller boats - but on a 29' it may be a stretch - it gets pretty heavy by then. In general it is done by disconnecting the forestay, giving some slack to shrouds and slowly increasing backstay length (usually using some sort of a winch). Mast base also has to support that - i.e. have a pivot. if there is no pivot, mast base can be damaged unless the mast is lifted upwards.

YMMV
Old 10-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Safest way is to hire a crane.. As brak says, it's a handful, and while it might be lowered using a 'gin pole' if the mast step is an adequately strong pivot point (unlikely) it's a very risky venture that can go horribly wrong.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Faster-

The local crane company quoted him $165 / hour with a four-hour minimum. Making a gin pole/a-frame setup is looking pretty good at this point.

Brak's points about the mast base and a hinge point are good ones... it can be done without a hinge point, but it is much more dangerous to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
We step are own masts and bigger ones will require a well built gin pole with the right block and tackle to lift the weight easy it could take a 6:1 to make a mast that size easy to handle

The big issue is standing up the GIN POLE in the first place as are pole is 20 feet and it is a handfull to setup with a mast in the way

We have to do it on the water because around here NOBODY will allow land based DIY steping

If you can give some lenth info i can give you a few ideas

After reading your in chicago the 165 X 4 sounds OK for that area , the yards here charge up to 15 dollars a FOOT each way with the bargin being 18 dollars round trip (fall and spring )

Also building a safe ginpole is not going to be CHEEP and if it is a one shot deal may not pay

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-28-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Faster-

The local crane company quoted him $165 / hour with a four-hour minimum. Making a gin pole/a-frame setup is looking pretty good at this point.
That's pretty harsh... then he needs to do some phoning around. Check into moving companies and outfits that have small truck-mounted "Hyab" type hoists or cranes.. many of them may have the required height at full extension. You don't have to lift a deck stepped mast very high, simply support it at the spreaders while laying it down. Their rates should be more reasonable.

We've hired such rigs in the past for around $100 - 200 to put in masts and launch smaller boats off trailers. The going rate in Vancouver here for mast picking is around $200.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Faster-

In his other thread, I recommended looking at companies with bucket trucks, since most masts on a 29' boat are light enough that a bucket truck could probably handle it as well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-28-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Have a bridge nearby? I know someone who used to back his Cal 29 up to a rail-road bridge that crossed a nearby creek after removing the backstay and running the topping lift to a spinnaker turning block. He then used a come-along on the bridge to lift the mast slightly and then set it back down on the pulpit/pushpit.

But he was a madman. I'm pretty sure the rail company would frown on the practice if they caught him.

Same guy decided the best way to deal with a rotting duck carcass in the marina was to douse it with gasoline and toss a match on it. He's no longer in our marina.

Best system I've seen involves two similar sized boats, rafted up on either side of you, and using their halyards and winches to lower the mast. That needs a hinged mast step, however, or a whole lot of careful thought and prior lashings at the mast base; 'cause if that sucher kicks out it will kill whoever's in front of it.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
Have a bridge nearby? I know someone who used to back his Cal 29 up to a rail-road bridge that crossed a nearby creek after removing the backstay and running the topping lift to a spinnaker turning block. He then used a come-along on the bridge to lift the mast slightly and then set it back down on the pulpit/pushpit.

But he was a madman. I'm pretty sure the rail company would frown on the practice if they caught him.
Bad idea...good way to get arrested.

Quote:
Same guy decided the best way to deal with a rotting duck carcass in the marina was to douse it with gasoline and toss a match on it. He's no longer in our marina.
Well, at least it sanitized the corpse... he's a whack job...

Quote:
Best system I've seen involves two similar sized boats, rafted up on either side of you, and using their halyards and winches to lower the mast. That needs a hinged mast step, however, or a whole lot of careful thought and prior lashings at the mast base; 'cause if that sucher kicks out it will kill whoever's in front of it.
This doesn't require a hinged mast step, since you can tie the mast off a bit above the center of gravity/balance point and then you can lower it fairly easily. As long as the tie off point is above the center of gravity of the mast, it won't kick out at all, since it will be kept upright by gravity.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-28-2008
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
no hinge, as far as I can tell

No hinge on this step.
I will have 3 people total to bring the mast down.