Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Carrying a small dinghy outboard, like a 3.5 HP or so, might not be a bad idea. Not only can you use it for the dinghy, it could work as a backup to the boat's motor in an emergency. If you're going to carrying a dinghy anyways, it wouldn't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
"Umm, you're supposed to be cruising, not running a floating outboard repair shop"

True but on mine, which is older, it is a rubber belt easily changed out if it breaks. Sort of like a fan belt on your car.
Old 10-28-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Is this a pull start motor? If so, then a spare pull cord and the tools/knowledge for replacing it.
Old 10-28-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
BlueWMD,

If it's running fine leave it alone. Have you had this boat long? What's your history with the motor? You sound like it's all new to you. Now if it is all new to you, you do have the most important thing -- towing insurance. Good luck on your cruise. Oh, one little thing, take some engine oil with you to top up if it gets a bit low and that little green light goes out.

Old 10-28-2008

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
The boat is new to me. I live in Tampa, and just bought the boat in the Cape Canaveral area (east coast). My only experience with the boat from the sea trial last week. Late november I am going to take it from cape canaveral down the ICW to Stuart, then across the state via the okeechobee waterway, and then up the west coast to Tampa (about 400 miles). I have had power boats before, and never even worried about the engine, but that was because I was familiar with them. This one is completely new to me. I will be on the boat the next 2 weekends trying to get things in order, before my trip.
Old 10-28-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

The water pump and cooling system kills more motors than ANYTHING and paying to have to pump changed would be the smart thing on and unknown motor

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tommays-

This is an 8 HP outboard motor we're talking about...and they usually don't have a separate water pump that can be replaced... impeller and gaskets, yes, but no separate water pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well

The water pump and cooling system kills more motors than ANYTHING and paying to have to pump changed would be the smart thing on and unknown motor

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
BlueWMD,

That's a nice trip. I would not be too concerned regarding the condition of the motor. There's a stop every thirty miles or so where you can get assistance if you really need it. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Because you don't know the history of the motor I would recommend --

Change the impeller and take a spare one with gaskets.

Change the plugs and take a spare set.

Change the oil in the engine and lower end.

Spare starting rope.

Check the oil often in the begining for usage. I like to put the oil in one of those shampoo bottles that have the little flip open spouts. I think that engine only holds about a quart of oil total so add easy.

Rick
Old 10-29-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I only went to OMC school for a 1000 hours BUT it is still a water pump and it is usally BEST to get the full kit due wear in the impeller housing

And at 8Hp it may have a thermostat but you will have to look in that motors service manual which is also a good thing to have

You should also change the lower unit oil looking for any sign of water

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat