Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-29-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
recessed engine control panel

I am replacing my yanmar control panel with a new one. The problem is that the panel is mounted in a fiberglass recessed box and the new panel is smaller than the old hole. I have seen these recessed boxes on many boats and am looking for a new one. I have googled and searched many sites but no luck. This box has the back recessed about 2-3 inches. I would like a clear door. Has any body found one? I canít be the only one that wants to recess his gauges. You guys are always helpful, many thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
I am replacing my yanmar control panel with a new one. The problem is that the panel is mounted in a fiberglass recessed box and the new panel is smaller than the old hole. I have seen these recessed boxes on many boats and am looking for a new one. I have googled and searched many sites but no luck. This box has the back recessed about 2-3 inches. I would like a clear door. Has any body found one? I canít be the only one that wants to recess his gauges. You guys are always helpful, many thanks.

You probably will not find a replacement box for it - readily. If you are handy with fiberglass you can use your current on and fill in the cutout so you can create a new cutout for the instrument panel. Cheaper and easier solution is get some smoked lexan and screw it over the knockout you currently have in the recessed area. install the instrument panel in that.

You can make the door yourself. On mine where the engine cutoff is - is a hole that is big enough for inserting a finger and doubles as the lift for the door. It uses regular marine hinges screwed into the frame of the engine instrument panel mount.

good luck on the project.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Badsanta-

It'd help if you said how big the hole is and how big the panel you have is... then you might get some real help. Without dimensions, not a whole lot we can do.

Jody's point about making one from fiberglass is a good one as well... it isn't rocket science. If you made a block of wood slightly smaller than the existing opening, you could easily use it for a mold and make a custom box for your instruments.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2008

hole is 8 x 10 the new panel is 7 x 11. Does that help?
Old 10-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your new panel is wider than the old one... that means you have to cut the hole to be larger anyways, at least for it to fit. Look for a fiberglass photo developing tray...they'd be about 9 x 11 for 8 x 10 photos... cut a hole it the bottom of the tray and attach the new panel to it... and then epoxy the tray into a slightly enlarged opening.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2008

I am really NOT trying to cover the hole. I am trying to replace the box. I think it would look nicer.

I got a response from a friend http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/images/ssicatalog.pdf

They have the part and are close by.

Many thanks to all, Sorry I dont have a fiberglass photo developing tray and dont know where to get one, but thanks anyway