Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-30-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Anybody know about Radio Controlled Boats?

A guy on one of my other forums posted asking about radio controlled sailboats. I thought smoebody here might have some experience or opinions.

I cut and pasted his post:

After a friend got a RC pond yacht I now want one to race him, etc. And Santa comes pretty soon. Does anyone have any experience with Tippecanoe kits, particularly the T37 http://www.tboats.com/t37sail.html.
Are there other wood kits out there worth checking out?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
!Sailboats - Radio Control CR914 Model Sailboats

I have a 914. Lots of fun. They even have racing fleets, the one in Annapolis use to sail from the Chart House rest on Sundays. I takes a some learning to sail the boat back to you.

Velero
Old 10-31-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Go BIG

I had a 32" star and the 50" would have been much better suited to the windy conditions we get here

You need a REALLY big sail servo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Get on You Tube and seach for RC sailboat, loads of information comes up on it. I am surfing You Tube alot and always seeing RC sailboat videos.

From what I can see in the video titles and when I have accidentally clicked one, some people build their own RC sailboats which looks pretty fun.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 10-31-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
They race Victorias around here. I bought the kit, though I haven't finished putting it together yet. The kit with a radio is $200 bucks. You'll spend another $150 or so to make it race ready (carbon spars, racing sails, stronger servo, etc.)

There are certainly bigger, better boats out there, but the Victoria is a great way to get into RC boating. Huge bang for the buck.

Old 10-31-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
i have 5 remote control boats,actually i have a bit of a radio controlled sickness (i have about 30 models-cars,boats,planes,helicopters).
2 2.5 footer sloops-fibreglass hull - self made when i was 14-still work
1 5 foot americas cup replica-fibreglass hull - self made when i was 18.(not a very exact replica but close and its a rocket).
shockave 36 nitro speed boat
blackjack 55 gas speed boat.
they are very fun to use at the dock when im not out sailing.they sure bring alot of attention from others at the marina.
i bought my father a kyosho sailboat as pictured below for fathers day and he has never used it.it just sits in his office on display.
Yahoo! Canada Image Detail for images.hobbytron.com/KYO-40012B-lg.jpg
these are great for the money.they come assembled and all you have to do is install the INCLUDED batteries and start having fun.
i like fibreglass better because i can inject the keel bulb with lead and the boats can take more sail.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 10-31-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2008
Censored4 your protection

Cope44 is on a distinguished road
I cant say about RC sail boats, but RC helicopters are intense. Once you feel the thrill of flying one and putting it down safe you will be hooked for life. Nothing and I do mead NOTHING can compare to the thrill. I have a few very fast RC cars (OFNA 9.5 PRO) and they are just lame now.

The concentration and skill in flying is what is all about for me. After set down when all I can hear is my MAH carbon mains spinning down and my hand are shaking from excitement with that sweet smell of burning nitro hanging in the air, I wouldn't trade that for any thing. Not to mention the huge feeling of accomplishment when you first run up that engine and hear the blades start to bite into the air as you add pitch. One second it's sitting on the ground a whirling noisy package of death, and the next it's leaps into the air all vibration and noise are gone. It just seems to hang from the sky on an invisible thread.

Speed? Ha! I thought my OFNA car was fast....The evo in a full power dive is blistering. The response is so great I just think and the heli goes. It is almost like it becomes linked with my brain. You get some strange looks pulling a six foot "toy" helicopter out of a car trunk at the lake tho.

I have seen the nice RC sail boats out on the lake and they seem neat. My problem with RC boats of any kind is failure. You will be looking at a swim to get you boat back. With the a heli you can (almost) always land.

They even have floats for them so you can land and take off of the water!

Sorry for the OT but just had to chime in on this one.
My thoughts are if you want it, buy it.

Oh yeah please heed the advice give by Tommay and buy the biggest most bad a$$ one you can afford, and when you get bored with it shelf it and buy a heli kit.

One thig to be said about RC toys is the can always be fixed. I have let cars sit for 10 years with no issue other than dead battery's. Just charge em up add fuel and go.
FREA EVO 90

Old shuttle Z now converted to ZXX

Not my best landing ever...
CM 21 #291

I fight to refuse a battle of wits against a one armed man.