Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2008

raisin56 is on a distinguished road
Furuno PB100 Weather Station

In looking around at what instruments I might want to put on a boat when I came across this unit. Since I have seen several wind instruments taken out by local Osprey (they just don't make a good perch). I was wondering if anyone has experience with this ultrasonic instrument? Are they accurate, hold up over the years. With a built in barometer, compass, pitch/roll, and GPS too it's sounding pretty good. Thanks for your input.

Dan
Tampa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2008

mazzy is on a distinguished road
Dan,
Looks like an ideal solution, though Airmar's up to a newer model of the sensor, PB200.

Mike
Old 11-01-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I was also intrigued by this sensor for may of the same reasons you mention. I have to frequently replace my vane which is a pain......
So, I stopped in at my nearby Furuno dealer to enquire. The guy there said "it's a fine unit, but I could sell you a whole suite of Raymarine ST60 instruments for less than the price of the ultrasonic sensor alone".
Old 11-01-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I was also intrigued by this sensor for may of the same reasons you mention. I have to frequently replace my vane which is a pain......
So, I stopped in at my nearby Furuno dealer to enquire. The guy there said "it's a fine unit, but I could sell you a whole suite of Raymarine ST60 instruments for less than the price of the ultrasonic sensor alone".
Really?? Let me know who this guy is. If he can sell me the 'whole suite' of ST60 instruments for less than $740ish let me know! I want to put in an order!!!

Otherwise the Furuno unit is looking pretty good. I have been looking for a wind system that wouldn't be a complete pain in da butt.. this thing looks like it would fit the bill. It includes GPS and compass too? Amazing...

Old 11-02-2008

I think you can get the combo ST60 wind display and masthead vane/anemometer for $750 or less. Pretty sure the same $750 only gets you the airmar masthead transducer, not a display. Though I do LOVE that you can display graphic images of true/apparant wind direction on Furuno's MFD Multi Function Display as well as chartplotter data. I'm curious about the merit of having a GPS receiver in the ultrasonic transducer. From what I've read, the mast top isn't the best place for a GPS antenna since it moves around so much relative to the boat. As ingenious as that device is, they may have found a way to compensate for that.
Old 11-02-2008

raisin56 is on a distinguished road
Mazzy, I has seen the PB150 but not the PB200 specs are better.

Sailboy, yes its cost more if you just want a wind instrument but if you include the compass, barometer, hydrometer, and GPS the cost falls into line. Plus (remember the Osprey) how many times do you want to replace the head unit? Hooked to a PC the full weather station tracking information may be useful offshore.

Ouickstep, I had forgotten about that aspect of a GPS antenna, maybe that's why the original documentation call for it to be a back-up unit. Maybe they found some way of compensating with the pitch/roll sensor. Nowhere have I seen them mention a sailboat use in their documents, makes me wonder.
Old 11-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One problem I see with the Airmar/Furuno unit... if the electricity craps out...it's useless. With a more traditional wind instrument, like the ST60 or the TackTick, you can still use the thing as a windex if the electricity is out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin56 View Post
Mazzy, I has seen the PB150 but not the PB200 specs are better.

Nowhere have I seen them mention a sailboat use in their documents, makes me wonder.

Interesting info about no mention of sailboat use. Other than a committee boat for a race, I don't think I've ever seen a powerboater that had any interest in wind speed or direction. Given all those considerations, I wonder where the market for that device is. Still would love to have it instead of the bird perch,,, ooops I mean vane.....