SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

AC Bilge Pumps?

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  TAK 
#1 ·
I have a liveaboard with no engines and some major leaks. Our bilge pumps are essential to flotation at this point but I'd rather not be married to using DC batteries when we have access to AC all the time.

Do AC bilge pumps exist besides basement style sump pumps?

Does an AC to DC converter do the job in this case?
Does that exist?

thanks,
Rusty

#4 ·
Realy doubt they'd make an AC bilge pump that's marketted as such.
They do make a few smaller sump pumps that would work nicely on a boat, had one I used in the basement for a long while, small and compact would fit in a lunchbox, but moved water like crazy.
If you don't have DC on board, go with AC or spend extra on a converter,

A bilge pump is nothing more than a DC sump pump, no difference in design or construction criteria.

Ken

#6 ·
I'd second trying to reduce the inflow as much as possible, by fixing whatever is leaking. Seems to me that a boat should keep the water out... at least as much as is possible. Also, relying on AC-based pumps seems a bit foolish, since the times when the AC cuts out—storms and the like, are probably when you're most likely to need the pumps most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.