SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Auto Tiller

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cap't Wally 
#1 ·
I am doing my shopping for a new auto tiller. I had an old "tiller master" that has given up the ghost and after much searching have come to the conclusion that "dead is dead" and there is no reviving it...so I''m in the market. I only do coastal and day sailing on a Catalina 27 (tiller, not wheel), so am not necessarily looking for navigational (GPS) capabilities, only steering and "keeping the pointy end in the right direction" while I grab a sandwich, adjust the jib or sit back and enjoy, especially since I do a lot of single handing.

I really would like feedback on others'' experiences, recommendations, etc. I''ve read much about Raytheon''s and Navico''s units and both sound quite comparable, although the Raytheon - Raymarine is higher priced. Obviously, economics fits into the equation as well.

Thanks ahead of time,

Tom

#4 ·
I have an Autohelm 2000st and an old autohelm
1000 and a autohelm 2000 with a seperate control box. They all work fine on our 32'' sloop. Just remember thatr you need something strong enough to handle the strain on your tiller. I know the Autohelm 2000ST
might appear to be costly but in the long run it sure is worth it!! I do not use the setup for the GPS. I do not believe a boat should change course without someone at the helm!

#6 ·
If you just need some basic heading-maintainance features, perhaps you want to go with a low-tech solutions. I''ve seena thing called the Davis Tiller Tamer - it screws onto your tiller and then you lead a line from the top of the transom on either side of the tiller to block on the device. You can lock the tiller by means of a knob that prevents the line from sliding through the block. Looks pretty handy, and its inexpensive to boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.