Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-04-2008

alan_21_us is on a distinguished road
odor on cushions

Hi - I am winterizing for the first time on my new 'old' boat. The process of winterizing will be aided by a buddy of mine so I think I will not create any major problems.

I do however have an issue with my cushions. The fabric appears newer and the foam inside looks good and has no apparent decay. What is the proper way of cleaning the cushions to remove the odor. It is not a bad odor, but its there. Smells musty.

I called a canvas guy and he said to remove the foam and wash the fabric. I'm concerned it may shrink and I will never get the cover back on.

This forum has helped in me in many ways before. I am hopeful I can get some advice or a direction where to go for it.

Thanks,
Alan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
The fabric may shrink slightly. The foam will just be a little tighter inside. I did this in my tent trailer. It all turned out ok.

Eric
Old 11-04-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Odor on cushions

You can wash most fabrics, I recommend hand washing, try using your bathtub. Rinse well and air dry. Never put in a dryer. You could try just one cover first, maybe a nav station cushion that could be replaced if necessary. Dry cleaning works well also. The foam needs to totally dry out to remove any odors, then spray with Febreeze. We use this procedure at the canvas shop where I work. Be sure to label the foam and corresponding cushion cover so you know what goes where if cushions are similar in size. If you have new cushions made in the future, try using a porous material on the bottom of the cushion covers so the foam can "breathe". This may cut down on the cost of using the more expensive upholstery fabric on all sides. It is best not to store your cushions on the boat off season as they will absorb that boat smell.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-04-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Try this

Put a cushion in a heavy duty plastic bag.

Use a shop vac to suck out the air.

Squeese the end of the bag tight and remove the vac hose. Spray fabreeze around the opening and open the bag slowly.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 11-05-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I did this with our new old boat last year. I removed all the covers and washed them three times each in our washing machine (they were bulky enough that I onlly did 1 or 2 in a load). I used detergent for the first and second washings (I don't think these had ever been cleaned, so the first wash got the bulk dirt out, and the second got the rest) and used Kids N Pets Stain & Odor Remover in the last. The Kids N Pets really helped get rid of the diesel/fiberglass funk and left a real fresh scent--I found the Kids n Pets at Target.

In our case, the foam itself still smelled some, even after airing out all winter, but the overall atmosphere down below is much, much better--basic fresh boat smell to me

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 11-05-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
When I bought my triton the cushions were nasty enouh that I wanted to toss them out, Wife said I'd already spent enough on the boat so I agreed to try and clean them first.

Pulled the covers, and washed them, air dried, NO DRYER! filled a kiddy pool with warm water and laundry soap, threw the cushions in and danced around on the cushions for a bit. changed to fresh warm water and danced around on them again to get the soap out, put them in a plastic bag and used a vacuum to pull the water out. They came out looking and smelling like new.

Best part is that since I was able to point out how much money I saved by not buying new cushions, I was 'allowed' to buy a few more toys for the boat.

When I got the Ariel, the covers were dirty, but didn't have any odor, pulled them off and carried them in the house to wash and air dry, the wife felt like being nice and washed and dried them for me. Now I have 3/4 sized cushion covers. She said she'd get the material, but I had to sew them.

Can't figure out why they don't wash and dry the material before making the cushion covers to avoid the whole shrinkage issue.

Ken.
Old 11-05-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc2dogs View Post

Can't figure out why they don't wash and dry the material before making the cushion covers to avoid the whole shrinkage issue.

Ken.

I noticed when shopping for outdoor fabric for my cushion redo - most of the labels said "dry clean only"...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 11-05-2008

Thanks for all the input. I can see my way through this now. Thanks.

FYI - i called a canvas shop and he said to put baby powder inside the cover to give it a fresher smell.

Alan
Old 11-05-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
We called in one of those folks who steam clean carpets. They brought their truck over and steam cleaned the cushions in our garage. Seemed to work. I forget the cost, but they offered a discount on cleaning the second year, which we didn't feel the need to do. We store the cushions in a cedar lined closet each winter. In the Spring, they smell fresh enough.
Old 11-06-2008

Odor on Cushions

I washed them once in woolite and then hung it out to dry in the basement. The smell is getting better, but I will use some odor special detergent this time around. After I did the washing i went over and compared the smell in the foam and the fabric. The foam is really the smelly part.

Can the foam be saturated in detergent, say downy or tide, or a smell remover and then let out to dry to help remove the smell?

Alan