Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2008

morgantheship is on a distinguished road
Renault Engine Removal - Advice Please

I will be removing my existing Renault engine from my Hunter 27 this next week and I was wondering if there are any words of wisdom that I should be aware of during the removal process? This will be the first time that I have ever done something this major to my boat so any tips or suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Boat in the water or out of the water? I knew a fellow who sunk his boat after removing the engine while the boat was in the water. He had a hose hung up above the water line. The hanger came undone, sunk the boat.

Other that that, I would start by removing accessories to lighten the motor and reduce the risk of extra things banging into the wood work on the way out.

If the motor is going back in, take lots of pictures with your digital camera so you'll remember how it all goes back together later. Wouldn't hurt to label wires and stuff too.

Just keep thinking of all the money you're going to save by doing it yourself. After all the skinned knuckles heel, you'll probably even think it was worth it.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 11-06-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Have old carpet or cardboard on hand for cushioning to protect things from that big chunk of iron.

Drain out as much oil as you can---before you take it out.

Don't drop it!

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 11-06-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Do you have a crane?

Disconnect final drive and all hoses and electrics.

Vertical access is crucial. Do you have good vertical access.? Do you have to lift the cockpit sole?
Old 11-06-2008

Smile Renault Engine Removal

To answer some of your questions. The boat is on the hard. The yard will be providing a crane for lifting the engine and transmission out of the boat and placing it in the bed of my truck (on prepared skid). I have good vertical access. Removing extra accessories like the alternator, etc is something I did not think of but I now plan to do to make the engine more compact and lighter.

Carpeting or heavy blankets are a great suggestion…thanks.

Do I really need to drain the oil out as the lift will be fairly straight up and out of the boat?

Once the engine is out I will be putting it side by side next to the Yanmar 2GM that I will be installing in its place.

Lastly, I sure hope the engine doesn’t get dropped… Thanks for all the input….I will be taking pictures, etc so that my experience might help someone else down the road.
Old 11-06-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
You don't have to drain the oil. It just seems that if there is oil in the engine it wants to come out.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 11-07-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
... any tips or suggestions would be welcome.
Don't drop it.
Old 11-07-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Morgan :

With vertical access and a crane, it will be a gift.
Measure the width of the motor and make sure it will lift straight out. If not, you will have to remove some of the sticky-out bits.
I trust that the motor has a lifting eye on the top?

Label the electrical connections like crazy.... A to A, B to B.... and so on. masking tape works well. It save terrible uncentaintly later.

What are you planning for the motor?

Last edited by Rockter; 11-07-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
I have a few articles on my website that may help you. One I think you will find pretty helpful of someone repowering his boat. He documented it pretty well and has some good information on it.

Go Here and check it out. Feel free to look around abit, you mind find some other useful info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 11-08-2008

Renault Engine Removal - Sale of Engine

Thanks for all the great tips. Regarding the crane. The yard where I keep the boat in the winter will lift it out for $50. And another $50 to lift the new engine in next Spring. A deal I can not pass up. I do plan to take as much off the engine as possible prior to lift out. I am trying to get it ready so that it can be lifted out the week of the 17th of November. And I very much hope they don’t drop it…

Then I plan to place it next to the Yanmar 2GM that will be replacing it. Check all critical dimensions for mounting, shaft size to obtain the proper coupling, etc.
I have some friends that will be checking the compression on the new (used) engine and they are willing to do a ring job if needed. They will also help in welding any brackets, etc that might be needed.

The Renault engine does not have lifting eyes so I plan on using lifting straps that I will borrow from out machine shop. I will test lift it by putting a 4x4 across the companion entrance with a block and tackle.

As far as labeling everything, it will not be necessary as the new engine comes with an engine harness and control panel.

My thanks to Perithead for the link to the articles. Wow, they are quite extensive and I have printed them out to read. Thanks.

As to what I will be doing with the old (Renault) engine. Since it is still a working engine with all parts as well as some spare belts and an impeller, control panel and engine harness, I plan on selling it as a complete unit. But not until I have verified everything between the two engines. I have the luxury of being able to use the shop at work as well as the offered assistance of some of the machinists. The Renault engine as I indicated is a running engine. It starts easily, but with no available spare parts I am repowering while I have the opportunity to. I also want a more reliable engine with additional power (going from 8 Hp to 13 Hp) for cruising. So if you are in the market for a used Renault RC8D engine, let me know….

I will keep you informed as to how the preparation and lift out goes…..thanks again for all the suggestions. I feel more confident in doing this now.