Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Sorry - your previous frothing about all anchors not rocna or spade ...
"Frothing?" I have not seen Maine Sail's comments about anchors as "frothing." His own experience apparently indicates that Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade and some others of newer design clearly out-perform most anchors of older design. How is that "frothing?"

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Here you go....Rebedding in the rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
No I did not care to give us a link?
Old 11-07-2008

Perhaps I see things differently than you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
"Frothing?" I have not seen Maine Sail's comments about anchors as "frothing." His own experience apparently indicates that Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade and some others of newer design clearly out-perform most anchors of older design. How is that "frothing?"

Jim
Old 11-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Wow..

Quote:
Well.... I applied some polysulphide to a piece of plexiglass that I have in my office a week or so ago.

It has not "eaten" or even discolored the plex. So there you have it....
Wow impressive data? Did you remove the polysulfide to look under it and see that perhaps the plexi is distorted or showing any signs of crazing on the surface. How long was it there? The plasticizers do not leach out overnight..

I know you feel your right on this so I won't belabor the point. But when the manufacturers advise against the use of Polysulfides on certain plastics I think your "data" leaves room for caution.

Please do me a favor and go back and read what I've written on anchors carefully!

P.S. I also own a Super Max "new generation anchor" that you have NEVER heard me praise! I also never praise the aluminum Spade on setting performance and I do own both a steel and an aluminum version of it. I discuss actual events and actual performance compared to other anchors I own over 30+ years of use for some of them.

Just so you have the facts here are the anchors I have owned or still currently own to base my opinions on:

CQR's, Fortress, Delta, Danforth, Spade (aluminum and steel), Super Max, Luke, Rocna, Bruce & Manson Supreme.

My top five "all round" anchors, in no particular order are; Manson Supreme, Rocna, Steel Spade, Delta & Bruce.

Hows that for frothing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-07-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Maine
Thanks for correcting my mistake re: claw vs plow. That's what I meant.
Old 11-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Maine
Thanks for correcting my mistake re: claw vs plow. That's what I meant.
Easy to do I often catch myself calling a claw a plow too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-07-2008

As good a test as any you will find in the mags!

Yes I did peel back the polysulphide and no distortion at all.

Quote:
Wow impressive data? Did you remove the polysulfide to look under it and see that perhaps the plexi is distorted on teh surface.

I know you feel your right on this so I won't belabor the point. But when the manufacturers advise against the use of Polysulfides on certain plastics I think your "data" leaves room for caution..

Please do me a favor and go back and read what I've written on anchors carefully!

P.S. I also own a Super Max "new generation anchor" that you have NEVER heard me praise! I also never praise the aluminum Spade on setting performance and I do own both a steel and an aluminum version of it. I discuss actual events and actual performance compared to other anchors I own over 30+ years of use for some of them.

Just so you have the facts here are the anchors I have owned or still currently own to base my opinions on:

CQR's, Fortress, Delta, Danforth, Spade (aluminum and steel), Super Max, Luke, Rocna, Bruce & Manson Supreme.

My top five "all round" anchors, in no particular order are; Manson Supreme, Rocna, Steel Spade, Delta & Bruce.

Hows that for frothing?
Old 11-07-2008

Quote:
As good a test as any you will find in the mags!

Yes I did peel back the polysulphide and no distortion at all.
Interesting because I have personally ruined a plastic part using Polysulfides caused premature cracking, and learned the hard way as well as watched a guy ruin some very expensive dead lights..

But of course your one experiment, totally devoid of a photographic evidence & far to short to leach plasticizers, but, "as good as you'll see in any magazine" trumps the manufactures of polysulfides, and the many marine experts who advise against it's use with certain plastics.. I'm sure your "test"will be published soon...

You're right and the rest of the world is wrong, as usual..

GBurton I think you need to take this issue you are stuck on up with the manufacturer's and Don Casey.

Quote from Don Casey:
Quote:
However, the solvents in polysulfide sealant attack some plastics, causing them to harden and split. Specifically, you must not use polysulfide to bed plastic windshields or plastic portlights--either acrylic (Plexiglas) or polycarbonate (Lexan). Don't use it to bed plastic deck fittings either, including plastic portlight frames. Plastic marine fittings are typically ABS or PVC, and polysulfide will attack both. If you know that the plastic fitting is made of epoxy, nylon, or Delrin, you can safely bed it with polysulfide. Below-the waterline through-hull fittings are in this group, but when there is any doubt, select an alternative sealant.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-07-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

DANFORTH TESTS SHOW DEEP PENETRATION

HOW NOT TO USE A DANFORTH....

PHOTOGRAPHIC EXPERIENCE...BY SD - ASS DONER

No real dogs hurt during this experiment

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-07-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2008

I will get you a picture on Monday (I don't work weekends)

I trust you will do the same?

Quote:
Interesting because I have personally ruined a plastic part using Polysulfides caused premature cracking, and learned the hard way as well as watched a guy ruin some very expensive dead lights..

But of course your one experiment, totally devoid of a photographic evidence & far to short to leach plasticizers, but, "as good as you'll see in any magazine" trumps the manufactures of polysulfides, and the many marine experts who advise against it's use with certain plastics.. I'm sure your "test"will be published soon...

You're right and the rest of the world is wrong, as usual..

GBurton I think you need to take this issue you are stuck on up with the manufacturer's and Don Casey.

Quote from Don Casey: