Looking at a Thetford/Wilcox - Tecma Silence Plus Fresh Water Toilet - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2008

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Looking at a Thetford/Wilcox - Tecma Silence Plus Fresh Water Toilet

We are doing sea trials this coming Monday. One of the first things we want to do is make the boat livable if all goes well. We will cruise in a few years.
Our first purchase is a new toilet. We (my wife and I) have weighed all the options we know of and have decided on an electric toilet. The particular toilet we are looking at is a Thetford/Wilcox - Tecma Silence Plus Fresh Water Toilet.
There are other makes and I am wondering if I have missed one that may be better.
Has anyone had experience with a better electric toilet or with this one good or bad?
I do not want to re-visit the electric verses the manual issue as we have decided on the electric for various reasons.
I did (I think) see one at a boat show one time that had a hand pump as an option incase the electric went south for some reason. I have never found it again. Any ideas on that one?
As a side note I had haemoid surgery not long ago and it is not to be taken lightly. The doc’s best advice was to take the magazines out of the means room. Not good to spend any more time than needed on the throne for your butt.

oops, this may be better in the gear forum but I do not see a way to move it.
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 11-08-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: wrong forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I moved the thread for you.

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a good electric head on a cruising sailboat. If you want a great head....get the Lavac.
Old 11-08-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I would get the largest house hold size bowl you can find.
Old 11-09-2008

ITMaster is on a distinguished road
I have a

Wilcox Crittenden that got bought out by Thetford. For a crapper, it is a piece of crap. It uses an impellar with a clutch in it that is prone to failure once a year. So, when you fill the bowl, the motor turns one way and then when you fllush, the motor turns the other way. After time, the clutch fails and the thing leaks and makes a mess. The rebuild kit is $80 and you have to get it from a dealer. In four years, I have had to rebuild it three times
I am considering a replacement, someone said getting a large bowl, similar to the house, I second that opinion
Old 11-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second getting a Lavac. They're pretty close to bulletproof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2008

Quiet?

I called Lavac about their Popular model and it sounds great. What they could not tell me is how quiet it is. They said it is quiet. Can you tell me how quiet it is? On our new old boat the head is next to the master state room as is on most boats. Will the electric head wake up a light sleeper like my wife?
It is great you can have bothe the manual and electric.
Also because of the head configuration I would need to do some serious fiberglass re-fitting to get the Tecma toilet to fit, even then I am not sure. It is a quiet operating toilet though.
Thanks,
Chip
Old 11-12-2008

ITMaster is on a distinguished road
My Wilcox Thetford

Is loud. Very loud. Mine is so loud, that I can be at the helm, with the diesel running 3000 to 3400 RPM's and guess what, I can hear the head flush over top the sound of a diesel. Will this one wake up your wife when she is sleeping without another sound on the boat and she is a light sleeper? Without a doubt mine will. Also, when you flush it, you should watch the amp gauge peg out, it jumps up over 40 amps. If you have been on the hook all night and get up in the morning and take a good healthy dump, you best start the engine up first, cuz you will drain your batteries stone dead in a heartbeat.

BTW, mine is the Newport Model
Old 11-12-2008

That is not a Lavac model though is it? The guy I talked to at Lavac said he had an electric tolit on his power boat and it was real loud but the Lavac "Popular" model was not.
Chip
Old 11-13-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I don't know the noise level of the Lavac and do NOT recommend the electric model pump even with the manual backup. Why the need for electric? You will use a LOT of amps and have a LOT of messy problems. Go lavac popular manual all the way and enjoy consistent performance and NO electrical concerns or electric pump jams.
Old 11-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, the simpler you can keep the head, the better off you're going to be in the long run.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.