Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2008

turfguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to turfguy
Ancor vs. 3M heat shrink adhesive connectors?

I have used Ancor heat shrink connectors with adhesive and think they are great and the only way to go when rewiring. But I have a chance to buy some 3M ones reasonably and was wondering if anyone had used them and are they as good as Ancor connectors?
Thanks in advance for all the wisdom and opinions
turf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
3M probably makes the stuff for Ancor! I use them every day on submersible pumps. What I do not recommend is the thin auto repair stuff. I like the heavy wall stuff rated for 600 volts as it sets up nice and stiff providing support for the connection.
Old 11-08-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
3-M ring terminals and other connectors are just fine, so long as you use a proper single crimp tool (e.g., the racheting Ancor 702010) designed for heat-shrink terminals. The racheting double crimp tools (by Ancor, Greenlee, et. al) are for nylon connectors, NOT heat shrink connectors. They tend to break thru the heat shrink, negating the waterproof design.

Warning re: Ancor terminals....about two months ago we came across a bad batch in which the heat shrink material was INSIDE the terminal connections, making for a no-contact crimp (0 ohms) or, worse in one case we noted, a partial connection which measured 10 ohms. This is the second bad batch we've seen, the first one a few years ago.

Bill
Old 11-08-2008

Thanks Sail and BT for the responses. I do use the Ancor single crimper when using these connectors BT, it wasnt cheap but it sure does a nice job.

turf
Old 11-08-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
You might also

You might also look into the FTZ connectors sold by Sailors Solutions. FTZ is a small company that makes a very high quality crimp connector. I have used 3M, Ancor and others and find the consistency to be lacking perhaps because companies like Ancor "source" product.

I actually suggested to Nick, one of the owners of Sailors Solutions, to bring in this line and to sell them in small quantities to fellow sailors. Sailors Solutions sells bags of 12 very reasonably ($10.95 per dozen) and they are very high quality.

Lyman Morse and many of the super high quality builders up here in Maine use them and buy them from the same distributor I buy from. The only problem with my distributor is that they sell quantities of 100 only with no mix & match.

Sailors Solutions FTZ Crimp Connectors (LINK)

They also sell the single ratchet crimper for heat shrink connectors for a lot less than the Ancor model @ $39.95

Sailors Solutions Single Ratchet Crimper $39.95 (LINK)

This is an FTZ yellow butt connector holding all those anchors..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-08-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Great Information Thanks Maine
Old 11-08-2008

Thanks Maine for all the great information. I had read your website on "wire termination" a while back and read all the other topics while there too! Great learning tools and great pictures. Never can have too many pics for us dummies. I ordered one of those rachet crimpers from Sailors Solutions to have an extra. I am assuming they are of the same quality of the Ancor ones? They look identical.
Thanks again
turf
Old 11-08-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Sorry..

I forgot to mention that Sailors Solutions brought in Berkshire tinned marine grade wire too. Again the same stuff I've been using for years and it is excellent stuff. This is a made in the USA (MA) product.

The last time I spoke with him Nick was going to bring in Cobra Wire, and I thought he had, but it looks like he changed his mind. 14/2 for .69 per foot & 12/2 for .95..!!

Sailors Solutions Berkshire Tinned Marine Grade Wire (LINK)

P.S. I have no interest in this company other than the fact that I have been a huge fan of their Sensibulb product and have had many long conversations with Nick about all things boating/electrical and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-09-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Having read the opinions of the experts over several threads in many months, I offer my own. First, I do countless crimps every week in most any and all environments. Here's what I am most comfortable with. I use the correct size terminal for the conductor, sometimes doubling the wire back on itself to build thickness, or often crimping the conductor and a 'partner' so as to have something substantial to squeexe against. I prefer the Ancor shrinks, and I very often use a butane micro-torch to do the shrinking.
I've grown disenchanted with the Ancor ratchet crimping tool. It just isn't reliable...period. The next best tool I've tried is the Harbor Freight knock off which is a reasonable performer. The West Marine crimper with the interchangeable dies worked for a while, then it became impossible to tighten the frame sufficient to hold the dies adequately. The WM and HF tools are about the same in my opinion.
I've now come back full circle to the Klein tool. When I need to make a rock solid crimp, I use the Klein's semi-circular die position and squeeze like hell. A good crimp terminal won't crack or split. The problem I've had with the (much) cheaper Harbor Freight and Radio Shack variety terminals is that they seem to be made of very brittle plastic and don't like to be crimped regardless of what tool does it. I very often use the so-called telephone crimps for those occasions where I need to splice 22-26 ga conductors, as in instrument cabling where a junction box is impractical. The Klein has a die position that works wonderfully for that.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 11-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeip View Post
.... I use the correct size terminal for the conductor, sometimes doubling the wire back on itself to build thickness, or often crimping the conductor and a 'partner' so as to have something substantial to squeexe against. I prefer the Ancor shrinks, and I very often use a butane micro-torch to do the shrinking.
If you're really using the proper size terminals, there should be no reason to "double" the wire back on itself.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.