Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-13-2008

justonemoreproject is on a distinguished road
impellar

I have changed my impellars about every 3 years and they always looked just like the new one I replaced it with. But for some reason I just keep on doing it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Cheap Insurance

As others do, I replace mine once a season (about 6 months). I put about 50 h on the motor each year. I put a new one in in the spring just before launch. Their cheap compared to a tow or a damaged engine.

DrB
Old 08-04-2010
Tweety

hbergold is on a distinguished road
Stay away from blue impellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCetacea View Post
Try the Globe #075. Defender has them for $34.
I fell for all the nice spec’s that are out there about the blue Globe impellers, but what a fraud. It didn’t last more that 40 hours. Once I friend told me I should stay away from these but I didn’t listen. Know it’s my turn to alert other. I almost fried my engine. I even threw away the other one I bought for replacement. For your safety, stay with the original Yanmar black impellers.
Old 08-04-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
100 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first. Running it past the 12 month timeframe is risky. It will fail when you need it most. THey are not expensive and it is easy to do. Just make it part of your oil change maintenance. No big deal.

- CD

Exactly correct. On the other hand, trying to back-wash the bits of a broken impellor vane out of a heat exchanger can be a serious PITA.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 08-04-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 08-04-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbergold View Post
I fell for all the nice spec’s that are out there about the blue Globe impellers, but what a fraud. It didn’t last more that 40 hours. Once I friend told me I should stay away from these but I didn’t listen. Know it’s my turn to alert other. I almost fried my engine. I even threw away the other one I bought for replacement. For your safety, stay with the original Yanmar black impellers.
Bingo!!!! LOTS of bad luck with Globe and lots of others with failures too...

Just a heads up..

I've tried the Globe impellers but found them very problematic. Below are some quotes and photos from another forum. My failures were the center hub spinning free of the blue impeller. This was a tough one to trouble shoot as it looked fine. The next one the tolerances were off ever so slightly and she would not "prime".

Images courtesy P. Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Shed
I was removing the sea water impeller from a M25 this morning . I do it each fall after haul out. To my surprise the impeller was cracked on every vane. This impeller was new this spring. The one I took out was a rubber type and was still like new but was old so changed it out . This is a # 815 . I would say there are only 35 hours on this impeller.

I will be taking it back tomorrow. Also going back to rubber type (black)

Sorry the pics are not the best
Images courtesy Bottomscraper:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomscraper

I have been using the Globe Blue Run-Dry™ Impellers for years and I have been very happy with them. I usually remove them at the end of the season and they look almost new with a little discoloration. This year every single blade was cracked. I did notice that this year the center appears to be plastic rather than metal like the older ones. Here is a picture of the impeller I removed today after 1 season (about 120 hrs). It has never run dry.

It appears that they have changed materials and that these impellers are now junk. I guess I will be going back to the black ones also. Too bad they had a good product. I was considering using their motor mounts but I think I will look elsewhere.
And another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J.
I left a dock, must have sucked a bunch of EG up while warming the engine/untieing lines. Noticed the temp was running 10° hotter than normal, stopped in the middle of the bay (no wind) to investigate. Pulled a significant plug of EG out of the strainer/intake. Reprimed the the pump and restarted the engine. Water flow out the back was not normal. Shut down again and pulled the impeller apart. The pictures show the condition of the Globe impeller. It was less than 3 months old, never run dry. It probably ran 20-25 minutes at less than full water flow and never saw temps above 170°. Not buying the 15 minutes run dry.

Just an FYI that the Globe impellers are NOT all they are CRACKED up to be..

I replace yearly... Engines are 15k my impeller is $16.00 or about the price of a 12 pack of decent beer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-04-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm in the change once a year camp and always keep a couple of the old ones on board just in case. Just seems to make sense, and as Maine says they are not all that expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with those quick change Speedseal impellor covers ? I figure their greatest advantage is that they use a much better, as in reusuable, gasket than those damn paper things.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They also make changing the impeller a lot easier, especially if the impeller is in a difficult location, since you don't have to remove all four screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'm in the change once a year camp and always keep a couple of the old ones on board just in case. Just seems to make sense, and as Maine says they are not all that expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with those quick change Speedseal impellor covers ? I figure their greatest advantage is that they use a much better, as in reusuable, gasket than those damn paper things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-04-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
SD,
Reality is , I guess that it would be simple to modify a standard impellor cover to be as easily removeable but you are still stuck with the crappy paper gasket. Thats why I reckon its the gasket and the gasket housing design that makes this thing look the goods.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-04-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I change mine yearly and keep the spares. I've yet to see one so bad that I trashed it. I do it more as a PM move than having the impeller go south at the worst possible time.

Some folks pull the plate off a couple times a year for a look-see but I don't think you can get a good look at the impeller condition that way, and by the time you get it out you might as well replace it.

I've yet to replace the cam though.

Old 08-04-2010

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road
I change mine every 300 hours or 3 years which ever comes first. since I usually put around 100 hours per year it works out pretty good. I used to change every year (100 hrs ) but decided that its just a waste of money, but if it gives you some peace of mind to change every year it may be worth it to you.

Mitch