Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
jet,

Those photos are great and very helpful! Don't worry about the spring cleaning.

In my view, you have a very standard configuration. The ratchet block is definitely for the termination at the cockpit, and the regular block is for forward at the bow pulpit just before the line enters the furler drum.

The ratchet block needs to be spun around and mounted so that it is facing forward and inward somewhat toward the cockpit (not completely opposite how you have it now in the photo, more like spun 90-110 degrees counterclockwise). Then you can very easily mount the small cleat on either the flat surface of the cockpit coaming or the surface of the coaming that cants down to the narrow side-deck, somewhere forward of the pulpit (typically 1.5-2' forward of the block).

I think you can get this set-up very nicely. You should have pretty good access to the underside of the deck via the locker (or an aft cabin?) for mounting that small cleat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011

jetdrvr393 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
jet,

Those photos are great and very helpful! Don't worry about the spring cleaning.

In my view, you have a very standard configuration. The ratchet block is definitely for the termination at the cockpit, and the regular block is for forward at the bow pulpit just before the line enters the furler drum.

The ratchet block needs to be spun around and mounted so that it is facing forward and inward somewhat toward the cockpit (not completely opposite how you have it now in the photo, more like spun 90-110 degrees counterclockwise). Then you can very easily mount the small cleat on either the flat surface of the cockpit coaming or the surface of the coaming that cants down to the narrow side-deck, somewhere forward of the pulpit (typically 1.5-2' forward of the block).

I think you can get this set-up very nicely. You should have pretty good access to the underside of the deck via the locker (or an aft cabin?) for mounting that small cleat.
Thanks!
That makes sense, I will look at that route, I was also thinking of setting the cleat on the teak block aft of the jib winch cam cleat. That cleat could stand to be moved a bit anyways.
Old 04-11-2011

Here is the finished product. How does it look?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Looks fine, jet. You shouldn't need the winch normally, but it's in a good spot if you ever do. If the location of that cleat ends up interfering in unexpected ways, over the side of the coaming would be my next choice.

[The only suggestion I might have would be to whip the end of the furling line. If you don't have materials for whipping, at minimum tightly wrap some tape around it near the end and then cut through the tape and remove that frayed end.]

I'd also now like to see you tackle those weeds down in the pavers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-11-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2011

Thanks for everything. I appreciate the tip about whipping but I just used that yellow line so it would show up easily in the pics. The real furling line is whipped and ready to go.

The weed in the pavers are up as soon as the boat goes in the water this week
Old 04-13-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Hey John just looked at this thread and noticed that your and Jet's lines run outboard on the stanchions. Any particular reason for that??
I like to keep that line inboard as not to interfere with my jib sheet.
Also when my genoa is unfurled I don't really have to cleat it off as the wind and jib sheets don't put tension on it. I only cleat this line off when I "reef" the jib and or when fully rolled up.

A couple of more weeks until sailing.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 04-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Hey John just looked at this thread and noticed that your and Jet's lines run outboard on the stanchions. Any particular reason for that??
I like to keep that line inboard as not to interfere with my jib sheet.
Also when my genoa is unfurled I don't really have to cleat it off as the wind and jib sheets don't put tension on it. I only cleat this line off when I "reef" the jib and or when fully rolled up....
Hi EJO,

Not sure if you had time to read my opening post to this thread, but the main idea of these OSLBA and other similar "outboard" blocks is to clean-up and reduce tripping hazards where folks are walking along the side-decks. In my case, the inboard blocks like you have were at just the right height that we constantly clipped our ankles on them. By placing the lead blocks and furling line outboard, our side decks are cleared up and easier to maneuver on. The line runs smoother, too.

Also, we do not experience any interference with the jib sheets. Outboard lead blocks are not new -- they seem to be the most common type nowadays. I haven't heard many if any complaints about jib-sheet interference. But, I could see where on certain configurations it might be a consideration.

As for cleating, you're right, there's really no need to cleat the furling line when the jib is unfurled, as the line is "lazy" at that point. However, the cleat is often the best place to neatly store the bitter end until it's needed again.

Old 04-13-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hi John thanks for the explanation and my apologies for not reading all posts. I'm a pictures guy (LOL) and just saw those and did see the abbreviation OSLBA and thought it was some kind of twitter language (LOL) which I'm not too familiar with.
I can see your point(s) and luckily my side boards are wide enough that I don't have the ankle problem.
Happy sailing and love your "real" boat.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-07-2011

Liquorice is on a distinguished road
Just to be different I've just installed these.
Line guides and padeyes | Colligo Marine
I think they're the cat's ass!
sam :-)
Old 06-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
Just to be different I've just installed these.
Line guides and padeyes | Colligo Marine
I think they're the cat's ass!
sam :-)
Those are interesting, I hadn't seen them previously.

They seem to be an outboard version of the standard stanchion mounted bullseye fairlead. One thing we've talked about, is the friction that these introduce when the line passes through them and bends around at an angle. Bullseyes seem to work best at keeping a straight line captive.

Give us some feedback as you get a chance to test them out. Thanks, and nice install, by the way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.