Eemax "marine/rv" Tankless Water Heater - EX2412M and insuarnce? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-13-2008

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Eemax "marine/rv" Tankless Water Heater - EX2412M and insuarnce?

We were thinking of putting a thankless propane hot water heater on our boat. I have heard that they are real popular in Europe but that insurance will not cover the boat with one in the US. Does anyone know about insurance issue?

Eemax "marine/rv" Tankless Water Heater - EX2412M
Thank you,
Chip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, tankless propane water heaters on boats tend to be a common cause of fires and explosions. Insurance companies here generally won't touch them. They're also a CO poisoning risk too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-13-2008

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
tankless heater

I assume you mean propane fired instant water heaters. Up here in Canada they are illegal in boats even though thousands were installed in C&C's, Whitby's and Hinterhoellers. They are also very common on Gemini catamarans. (side note: the propane refrigerators in Gemini's are also illegal in Canada).

Our "Transport Canada Small Vessel Construction Standards" state that any appliances installed in a boat must be installed according to the manufacturers instructions. Of the five brands I am familiar with they all state in their manuals that these are not approved for boats.

I have been told (don't know for sure) that the issue is the valves are designed to operate in a vertical position and can fail at an angle of heel thereby releasing propane into the cabin.

Port Credit Marine Surveys
Old 11-14-2008

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
The ones I looked at are for marine use.

They seem save if say in a propane locker in a lazerate. However if we cannot get insurance then it is a no go.
We originally wanted to buy a Gemini MC but found they were out of our reach finically. You can insure the Gemini with the propane refrigerator.
We are in the process of selling our current 30' keel boat and buying a 36' keel boat. Got to keep the economy moving you know.
Thanks,
Chip
Old 11-14-2008

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
the specs I find for an Eemax EX2412M show it to be not propane fired like the ones previously mentioned but 120VAC which is only good when you are at the dock or if you have enough batteries to support an inverter.

PS. The propane refrigerators on the Gemini do not meet ABYC standards or United States Code of Federal Regulations Title 46
Old 07-27-2010

ReeseBauer is on a distinguished road
marine Tank less propane Water Heaters

The PrecisionTemp Shower-Mate Marine Water Heater is marine rated propane water heater and according to my insurance company is not an issue. I am installing one on my 33' hunter replacing the useless 5 gal electric water heater. My insurance company is Allstate. According to the information i have their are only a couple that are marine rated and this is the only general propane one i can find the other is electric and only works when at dock or with a generator and is not really worth the effort. Others are made for RV's and look good but are not marine rated and that is probably the issue with most insurance companies. They need to be vented to the cabin top directly over the installation which may be the problem with CO2 and Fires that have been experienced by some boaters. Insulation with the ability to vent directly over the insulation is probably an issue for most people. In my case it will probably be installed on the v-berth bulkhead so i can directly vent it or in a rear storage area where it can be vented directly to the overhead on the stern.
Old 07-27-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Interesting but at that price I am inclined to put in a diesel hydronic heater. I will also give you cabin heat. But you would still need an electric HW heater to heat with the diesel heater for domestic hot water.

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 07-28-2010

ReeseBauer is on a distinguished road
hot water

thats the problem, cost vs real hot water. the electric water heater i have is a five gal capacity and with the issue related to calcium build up on the heater elements and limited volume, and weight it is really not a good solution unless you like warm water. it does have circulation heating off the engine but that is only of limited value especially away from the dock and with diesel at 3 - 4 dollars a gallon and going up long term the off set of the diesel cost against the initial cost of the heater needs to be taken into account.
Old 07-28-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I don't know where you are, but around here, diesel is about $2.75/gal. Seeing as most small sailboat enginess consume on the order of 1gal/hr, and it should take less than half an hour to heat your water tank, you're getting a shower for about $1.40. Many marinas charge that much to use the showers.
Old 07-28-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We removed our 6 gal water heater and installed an Excel America LPG vent-free water heater. I installed it in the anchor locker with a couple sheets of aluminum behind it as a heat shield.

We put another propane system in and used the forward deck box for the tank storage with the switch in the head.

The water heater operates based on water flow. Once the water pressure changes and water flows, then the heater attempts to ignite the gas, but if the gas isn't on, then the ignition continually clicks. I didn't want to burn up the ignition if somebody tries to use the hot water side of a faucet without turning on the propane system so I installed a water solenoid that I bought off EBay that opens when the gas solenoid opens.