Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-15-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Bear mauling... Need PVC fabric source?

I got a nice air floor inflatable, less than a year old for free! Way cool.. only catch was it got mauled by a bear. It isn't that bad and I think it should be repairable, but I am going to need some larger pieces of PVC than usually comes with the repair kits. Anyone got a good source? Searching for PVC fabric on the internet brings up a lot of non related stuff and all the PVC inflatable repair kits I can find only include a 14 x 6" patch. I think I am going to need more than that!
Also
Any recommendations on how to proceed are appreciated. I know a guy that glued an entire new floor on an inflatable so I know its possible!

Last edited by sailboy21; 11-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Last time I needed a large patch, I bought a PVC rain poncho from a sporting goods store. It was the same weight material, and very close to the correct color. Wasn't super cheap but was much cheaper than the only place I could find that carried the material.

with todays disposable mindset I've found it's often cheaper and easier to buy something to cut up than it is to find the material itself.

Ken.
Old 11-15-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A PVC shower curtain or poncho won't have the same reinforcing fibers in it. It looks like your dink is not PVC, but cloth calendared (pressure coated) with PVC, which is stronger.

You might try contacting some of the makers and telling them you need a large piece of cloth for repairs, and see if they can sell it to you or recommend a source.
Old 11-15-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I bought the special glue and the fabric from shipstore.com -Part of - ShipStore.com ™ to fix my inflatable. For a repair like you want to do you really need the right glue and fabric. If those tears are in the air floor they are going to need to be virtually perfect. Air floors are inflated to about 10 psi or more, and they have lots of strands that tie the top and bottom together, so they can take that pressure and become very ridgid. Unless you are very handy this isn't a repair for the faint of heart! Of course your only investment will be the repair materials, so what the hell!
Old 11-15-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
A friend of mine needed a large patch and called the local dingy store/repair shop. They gave him a piece from an old dink they had by the dumpster!

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Old 11-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalFishwife View Post
A friend of mine needed a large patch and called the local dingy store/repair shop. They gave him a piece from an old dink they had by the dumpster!
The guy I got it from was actually advertising it as scrap to use for repairs... I don't think it is that bad... He just didn't want to go through the hassle of fixing it. I have a west marine dry bag that is dark blue, but feels like the same weight material. I paid 50 bucks for it but if things get desperate: snip snip snip....
Old 11-16-2008

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
MCmaster is a source of all possible things

McMaster-Carr, look for vinyl coated polyester

HH-66 is good one component glue, however proper way to fix it would be with 2-component adhesives, just to make it heat resistant.
You will need to put patches both inside and outside on big cuts, and sew edges together.
Old 11-16-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A PVC shower curtain or poncho won't have the same reinforcing fibers in it. It looks like your dink is not PVC, but cloth calendared (pressure coated) with PVC, which is stronger.

You might try contacting some of the makers and telling them you need a large piece of cloth for repairs, and see if they can sell it to you or recommend a source.

You're thinking the $2. one-use cheapies you buy at walmart, many of the better sporting goods stores carry very nice heavy duty ponchos that are made with the same fabric as the dinghys.

Also, those free standing pools with the inflateable top ring have sides made of the same exact fabric. (easy set type, starting at $39. you'd get a roughly 30inch by 24ft length) bottom and ring are made the same as the walmart ponchos with no fabric, but the sides are very heavy duty with the fabric inside (able to hold 5000+ gallons of water!) Only real drawback is that they're only available in blue or white.

Like I say, I'm a big fan of buying things to cut up as material for a project. It's surprising how much more material you can get by purchasing a finished product than just buying the material.
(yeah I'm extremely frugal)

ken.
Old 11-16-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Ken,
I've got the material for repairing my dinghy. No poncho in the world would be made of material that thick! I also have one of those pools you speak of for my grandson. Same deal, thicker than the poncho but no comparison to the dinghy fabric.
Old 11-21-2008

Just got a huge chunk of PVC from Inflatable Boat Service and Supply
The guys there were very helpful, fast and gave me a great deal.
Now I just have to wait 2 weeks for the glue to get here....