Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-17-2008

blakemiddleton is on a distinguished road
Cut down 150 genny to 125?

Our new boat came with a 150 furling genoa, and we find that it is too much sail. We would rather not buy a new sail so is cutting this one down to a 125 or so be a good idea? I talked to a local sail loft and they quoted $400-500 to recut and redo the uv protection. Does that sound like a reasonable way to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2008

maestrosid is on a distinguished road
recut genoa

I had to have mine cut down. The PO did not have UV protection and the seams blew. I am not a racer, so I can't address efficiency and sail shape, but a 150 was a bit big for SF Bay and my boat.

Cost about $400 for the recut and UV protection.
Old 11-17-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Depending on the size of the sail It does sound pretty reasonable, but another option, if the sail is in good shape, would be to take measurements and check to see if someone is interested in swapping.

Ken.
Old 11-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It may not make sense, depending on the cut of the sail. Some sails, especially more expensive racing sails, are cut in such a way that recutting them is often not a great idea. It might make more sense to sell the sail and have a new sail made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-17-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
If it's a furling sail, why not furl it up a bit when it's windy?
Old 11-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Because, on many furlers, once you furl up about 30% of the sail, the shape goes to h3ll... it gets fairly baggy and performs poorly in high wind conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
If it's a furling sail, why not furl it up a bit when it's windy?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-17-2008
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
OIC, so the furling sail just makes it easy to stow, it's not made for reefing...
Old 11-17-2008

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
I had mine re-cut down from a 150% to about a 135% because, as in the case of MaestroSid above, the P.O. was late in putting on UV protection and some seams failed.

A local loft did it, and added luff foam to aid in retaining shape when partially reefed. Worked out well.

Had it done in December, when loft was pretty idle. Cost was under $200 for a small sail (boat is 25 ft), they re-used the Sunbrella UV shield.
Old 11-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It may not make sense, depending on the cut of the sail. Some sails, especially more expensive racing sails, are cut in such a way that recutting them is often not a great idea. It might make more sense to sell the sail and have a new sail made.
It's not a racing sail, just a cross cut dacron cruising sail. We thought it would be good for light winds, but it is pretty heavy, and collapses too much. Sounds like having it recut is the way to go. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Because, on many furlers, once you furl up about 30% of the sail, the shape goes to h3ll... it gets fairly baggy and performs poorly in high wind conditions.
Yep, with even just a few wraps, the sail shape goes to crap, and it gets way too baggy. I think we'll just deal with going a little slower in light air, and eventually get an asymmetrical spinnaker.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.