SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Painting aluminum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/49013-painting-aluminum.html)

svindigo 11-17-2008 04:06 PM

Painting aluminum

Hello all, am installing a generator on an aluminum framework. QOTD is whether or not to paint the frame or leave it au natural. Insight and suggestions are welcome before I start cleaning and priming.

Thx
Ike

sailingdog 11-17-2008 04:09 PM

It depends. Is the framework anodized?? If not, paint it... if so, leave it alone.

svindigo 11-17-2008 04:14 PM

Nope, not anodized.

I'm just going back and forth between 1) paint it and if it works great if not paint it again or 2) do like the Dashews and go raw and let it oxidize. With the generator mounted to it I'm worried that I'll have corrosion under fasteners etc and will end up with pitting.

Thx for the advice SD

sailingdog 11-17-2008 04:38 PM

If the fasteners are stainless steel, don't forget to use isolation washers of thin plastic and either TEFGEL or LANOCOTE on the bolts themselves to help prevent galvanic issues between the aluminum and stainless steel.

svindigo 11-17-2008 04:43 PM

I'm with you there SD. I'm a huge fan of Lanocote. It's on all my turnbuckles and most mounting hardware. Tefgel is on all mast hardware.

Again, many thanks. Your responses are always very useful.

Ike

sailingdog 11-17-2008 04:45 PM

Glad to help. :) PS... if you don't have a CO detector installed, please do get and install one... the Genset can be a serious CO risk.

CharlieCobra 11-17-2008 05:18 PM

I did aircraft and to do aluminum correctly is a bit specific. Acid etch, alodine, then zinc chromate, followed by Alumigrip. It'll last 10 years or so with that process.

fullkeel7 11-17-2008 05:33 PM

I would agree with CharlieCobra. Don't forget to deburr all holes.

xort 11-17-2008 05:49 PM

For a genset brace, I'll assume it's inside a cabinet. So you aren't too worried about the looks, just corrosion?
Seems like the advice of isolating the aluminum from other metals would work fine. Is there a source of salt water spray in the area?

poopdeckpappy 11-17-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 403450)
If the fasteners are stainless steel, don't forget to use isolation washers of thin plastic and either TEFGEL or LANOCOTE on the bolts themselves to help prevent galvanic issues between the aluminum and stainless steel.

Has anyone given much thought to titanium fasteners, they aren't that mush more in cost, but 2/3rds less in weight and 2/3rds more in strength and you wont have the galvanic issues.

All my race bikes had all the fasteners, axles, pinion pins the works replaced with TI and never had a corrosion issues between the TI & ALU, not to mention I shed about 7-10 pounds off the bike.

I'm bet'n their some poundage that could be shed off the spars and even deck hardware fasteners

Just a thought