Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-18-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Cool. Thanks for the comparison. I'm curious though, on the Superbright, is that their "warm white" series or the cool white?
All the bulbs ordered were ordered in warm white so yes the Superbrite is a warm white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Nice job Maine

BTW, I'm sure that's NOT where the toilet brush goes

Actually it's my wheel cleaning brush for the car.. Good Catch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-18-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Giu,

It is worth reading Nigel Calder's recent article on LED lighting:

Professional BoatBuilder - October/November 2008

Under the title "The Maturation".
Old 11-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
All these milliamps should be amps. For example, a 10W bulb should draw about half the current of a 20W bulb, or about 0.87 amps, which is 870 milliamps.

Thanks for the catch. I had my meter on the milliamp setting to capture the third digit and had milliamps on the brain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
Giu,

It is worth reading Nigel Calder's recent article on LED lighting:

Professional BoatBuilder - October/November 2008

Under the title "The Maturation".

Yes I read it via the on-line subscription. I like one of his last comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Calder article in Professional Boatbuilder
In skimming through marine chat sites on the internet, I've noticed a number of unhappy boat owners who've had LED lights fail within hours of putting them into service-and others who've enjoyed years of service with no failures at all. It's clearly important to buy from reputable companies.
You can't get high quality, high output, constant current type LED's at incandescent prices even though some feel they can.... It's unfortunate that some have had such a bad time with LED's and hopefully this info will help.

The Sensibulb clearly has some of the most in-depth circuitry of the lot and has no RFI interference that I have noted.

Essentially you are paying for the quality of the bulb itself and circuitry. The Sensibulb uses Japanese made LED's (this is the same bulb Nikon uses in it's very expensive medical imaging equipment) that cost about six times what the Marinebeam Seoul Semiconductor Korean made bulbs do. The Superbrites appear to be a Chinese made knock off of the Seoul Semi bulbs or a cheaper BIN from Seoul Semi....

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-18-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I bought a couple of the Sensibulbs. As Maine Sail has said, wonderful warm light. The kind you are use to seeing at home. I have no problem reading with the Sensibulb also. I think that is an important point.
Old 11-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
GUI—

If the bulbs are the two-prong Halogen G4 bulbs, yes, the Sensibulbs should fit. They also make adapters to fit the Sensibulbs to other types of bulb fixtures, including one for dual contact bayonet mount. Without knowing who makes your lighting fixtures, it is hard to say whether the sensibulbs will fit all of them.

BTW, for the navigation lighting, it would help if you said what models of navigation light fixtures you have. I know that the Aquasignal 25 and 40 series fixtures have replacement LED bulbs available for them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-18-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Dog..that is my problem...I don´t know exactly, they came with the boat..

That´s why I need to get there, see the fixture, bring the bulbs and buy accordingly.

I will search for what I know I have, or think I have, and post here so some of you can help me and in December when I fo to the US I can buy them, ok please?
Old 11-18-2008
Larus Marinus

One thing to watch with the G4 halogen fitting is that some lamps fit them in sideways, instead of axially. It looks like Maine Sails examples are all intended for axial fittings.
Old 11-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiens View Post
One thing to watch with the G4 halogen fitting is that some lamps fit them in sideways, instead of axially. It looks like Maine Sails examples are all intended for axial fittings.

Yes, other than the Sensibulb which will do both a horizontal and vertical fixture, they are all vertical bulbs. I decided to test all of one type though the Marinebeam and Superbrites are also made in a horizontal type bulb in the same configurations..

Old 11-18-2008
Larus Marinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes, other than the Sensibulb which will do both a horizontal and vertical fixture, they are all vertical bulbs. I decided to test all of one type though the Marinebeam and Superbrites are also made in a horizontal type bulb in the same configurations..
Thanks. I think my G4 lamps with side fitting would have difficulty accepting the size of the LED envelope.

BTW - In your picture of the lights, one seems to be missing. The list is of six, but only five shown.