Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-19-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Hey GUI-

He called your boat a Bendytoy... or Jeanneau, which is much the same thing...they're both French...

Ouch. Wait until Alex reads that one. There will be hell to pay

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2009
Banned

LoTech is on a distinguished road
Is there a fixture as good as the bulb?

I'm looking for one that can hold 1 red Sensibulb PAIR, and one white Sensibulb PAIR. And can be switched to either or both, with a dimmer.

The switches in the dome lights I've used become corroded after a couple of years and stop working. I would like to find a reliable fixture sealed and switched like a diver's flashlight.
Old 02-18-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We literally installed a sensibulb 10 minutes ago, and all I can say is - wow! It's incredible. The brightness is wonderful, wide (i.e. not like a spotlight) and very similar to our 20w incandescent bulbs. We've had a problem with LED replacements due to the patterns on our glass lenses on our fixtures, but the new Sensibulbs don't have the same issue.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-19-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the recommendation. Sensibulbs still aren't cheap, and maybe there are better LED lights for particular applications, but they seem very consistently to score well with those seeking a "warm and natural" light source for general illumination.

The recent Practical Sailor had a good write-up on the current crop (pun intended) of LED lights. I am interested in the Alpenglow fixture and light, because I have been very pleased with their florescent red/white fixture in my pilot house. I have CF fixtures in the sea berths and regular florescent 12 inch lights in the galley and the head, old-school incandescents and halogen reading lights in the aft cabin, and honking big 25w Aquasignal nav lights on deck and mast.

I want LED spots there, in the workshop and in the aft cabin, because right now, I have too many types of unpopular lights aboard. I also want LED nav lights everywhere, as I think they are great for longevity and low draw.
Old 07-14-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Mainesail - hate to drag up an old thread - but do you have any info on the newer generation of bulbs from Marinebeam? Specifically the SP-G4-12 and the SP-G4-15 "light hammer"
Old 07-14-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Mainesail - hate to drag up an old thread - but do you have any info on the newer generation of bulbs from Marinebeam? Specifically the SP-G4-12 and the SP-G4-15 "light hammer"
I have not purchased any of the new "light hammers" to test and compare but I have seen them in use. IMO, without testing them under the same conditions mind you, not nearly as bright as the Sensibulb nor as wide and also color is still a little ways off. They were installed on a boat with Sensibulbs overhead and the light hammers in small form factor reading lights. It would still be a top choice though if I could not fit a Sensibulb in the fixture. Jeff at Marine Beam is a good guy and sells better than average LED products. But, if I could fit a Sensibulb, then I am not buying light hammers or even SCAD/Sensibulbs version of the "Light Hammer".

Remember the Sensibulb is only $1.00 more than the $35.00 Light Hammer, if you ask Nick for the 10% discount. Also SCAD/Sensibulb sells their own comparable version of the "Light Hammer" for $32.99 through Defender. These are still no Sensibulb but if you have teeny tiny lights it's all you may be able to fit and IMHO they are the best product thus far in small form.

I did however just purchase three of the latest iteration of the Sensibulb and all I can say is HOLY SH*T !!!!!!

You GET what you pay for with the Sensibulb. The newest generation I just bought uses only ONE emitter and are about35-40%, yes 35-40%!!, brighter than the ones I previously tested which BTW were the brightest marine LED's tested by PS at the time. Light Hammer = 100 Lumens for $35.00 even a four generation old Sensibulb WW = 130 lumens for $36.00, the new ones are 35-40% brighter, perhaps 175-180 lumens and still $36.00. The new Sensibulb emitters are also US Made in California, and assembled/made in the US, if that matters. The light coming out of that pencil tip sized emitter is simply mind blowing.

I did do some more testing on radio noise, with a Ham friends help, and found the Marine Beam bulbs to be a tad noisy and the Sensibulb to be not even noticeable. Dr. LED, Superbrite and just about every bulb but the Sensibulb created havoc with radio interference some a LOT worse than others. The Marine Beams were not the worst but also not the best.

The new Sensibulb, that just began shipping last week,are significantly brighter than the ones I tested back in December 2008. When I plugged them in I was STUNNED and that's not easy to do.

According to Nick, one of the owners of Sensibulb/SCAD, they have had four output upgrades since I ordered my last bulbs in 2008. This most recent change is a major change from the two emitter design to a single emitter design. To say the least these guys stay on top of the technology and don't rest on just having a "good" product as they want to sell the "best" product.

While many other LED's have remained unchanged in technology, output and color temp and dropped the price accordingly, as their technology became like a dinosaur saddle, the Sensibulb price has remained the same but the technology is and has always been totally cutting edge and the "latest and greatest".

I honestly did not think it could get much better than the ones I have been using but it has. I bought one of the first Sensibulbs to ever hit the market at the first boat show they displayed at. That bulb is still going strong and has LOTS of use on it.

The new ones are about equal to or brighter than a 20W halogen and the color is still very pleasing. While not cheap they are about the best you can buy and also have no radio interference I could find something that plagues other LED bulbs. With LED's I have found that you do get what you pay for, trust me I have a work shop full of JUNK... I own three different generations of the Sensibulb, as well as many other LED bulbs, and the Sensibulb is just an amazing product. Yes, you may pay more, but you actually get more.

I have no vested interest in the Sensibulb company but am willing to pay the premium as I have found no equal or substitute at any price.

The new bulb has only one teeny tiny LED emitter as opposed to the two of the last model but is still the brightest LED interior bulb I have seen. The Sensibulb was the brightest LED Practical Sailor tested and this one is a full 35-40% better in output than those. I have seen 10 emitter bulbs not even half as bright as this new Sensibulb so DO NOT get fooled by more emitters, means more light. If the technology keeps going at this pace we will soon see LED car headlights and LED's lighting baseball stadiums.

Oh and the two pesky things that bugged me about my 2008 bulbs was the dinky little wires and the rather wimpy G4 clip that held the bulb in place. They have now beefed up the wires and made the clip a LOT more robust.

Two thumbs up to Nick Cancro and the crew at SCAD for keeping on top of things and listening to customer feedback!!!

June 2010 Sensibulb (even Sensibulb does not have a photo of the new ones):

2008 Sensibulb:

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn...look at the size of the heatsink on that new Sensibulb... that's one of the reasons they tend to have better lifespans than competing products...good heat dissipation.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Maine sail-

Do you know if the wires can be clipped from the back of the sensibulb or do they need the mount to work? I have a really tight light that will work if I'm able to hardwire in, but if I keep the mount and have to use the adapter, the dome will not fit back on. I understand that the warranty will not be in place, but that doesn't matter too much to me.
Old 07-15-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Maine sail-

Do you know if the wires can be clipped from the back of the sensibulb or do they need the mount to work? I have a really tight light that will work if I'm able to hardwire in, but if I keep the mount and have to use the adapter, the dome will not fit back on. I understand that the warranty will not be in place, but that doesn't matter too much to me.
Sure the wire could be clipped. The PC board shows which wire is POS / NEG. Blue is GND and Red is POS..

It does not need the G4 socket to work but they are expensive so please be careful as the leads are only about 1 1/4" long...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-15-2010

rhaley is on a distinguished road
Smile

FWIW, the new emitter looks to be the Philips Rebel, which is one of the two best parts on the market for lumens/watt. Kudos to Sensibulb for keeping up with the technology, and now that I see how they are following the industry, I can guess what LEDs will be used next!