Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-15-2010

rhaley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Damn...look at the size of the heatsink on that new Sensibulb... that's one of the reasons they tend to have better lifespans than competing products...good heat dissipation.
One of the other major reasons is they use high power LEDs that were designed to be driven as illuminators. These LEDs have dedicated thermal pads to shed the heat to that massive heat sink, and will last a LONG time when utilized in a good design (as the Sensibulb seems to be).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Maine sail-

Do you know if the wires can be clipped from the back of the sensibulb or do they need the mount to work? I have a really tight light that will work if I'm able to hardwire in, but if I keep the mount and have to use the adapter, the dome will not fit back on. I understand that the warranty will not be in place, but that doesn't matter too much to me.
Would something like the Sensibulb Mini work? Sensibulb™ Mini™ | Technologies LLC I've not seen one in person, but given the quality of the the regular bulb, I would have high hopes. Speaking of the regular Sensibulb, I've installed four in our boat, one each of red and white in the galley and head dome lights. MS is absolutely right, these things are great - and I'm talking about what is now the last generation. No doubt in my mind that I'll be buying more as we slowly convert our reading lights. Now if they would only come out with bulbs to fit my nav lights.
Old 07-15-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
Would something like the Sensibulb Mini work?
Thank you, and I'm sure the mini would work, but I already have the bulb for the location over the galley and would like to not purchase a different bulb (I'm cheap).

I also bought two IMTRA Marine LED towers for a set of lights on my bulkhead, but the shade around the light fixture really changes the color of these to a yellow. With the shade off, the lights look great and really throw some lumens... it's just the shade that makes them look real yellow. Unfortunately, I cant get around using the shade and will be stuck with the yellow traffic like look.
Old 07-15-2010

F4d3d is on a distinguished road
@Maine Sail - Thanks for the great work on the LED comparison.

@Jeffield - Your idiot's guide was a good read, thanks. I'll look you up when I need some LED's in the future.
Old 07-17-2010
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
MS, I'm curious. You mentioned the new Sensibulb was about as bright as a 20W halogen. What's the power consumption?

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 07-18-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
MS, I'm curious. You mentioned the new Sensibulb was about as bright as a 20W halogen. What's the power consumption?

The new Sensibulbs measure out at 0.22 amps vs. 1.75 amps for a 20W halogen or roughly 800% more energy consumed by the halogen than the Sensibulb for roughly the same light output....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-18-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I plan to replace a couple of the bulbs in my existing reading lamps just to save on the draw for long term use like reading, but the major shortcoming on my boat is general area lighting especially in the galley and Nav station.

I recently purchased a CFL fixture from AlpenGlow. I tested the fixture this weekend mounted on the boats centerline just forward of the companion way and what a great improvement. I chose the 2 level fixture with red LED night lighting. The CFL fixture provides reasonable lighting on the low setting for tasks like cooking and even illuminates the nav station and part of the saloon with enough light to read. On the high setting there is ample light for detailed work so many boat projects necessitate. I'm not sure what the draw is, but think its similar to one HID type light but provides much more useful light.

On the night setting it provides low amp draw red led lighting to allow crew to move around below with out destroying their night vision. Again there is high and low setting. I think the low setting would be adequate to fully night adjusted eyes but haven't had a chance to test that and its nice to have a higher intensity setting if you find you need it.

I think with a combination of sensibulbs for uses where the light is on for a long time coupled with my new overhead light for shorter duration lighting over the whole saloon is really going to make things much nicer on our boat.
Old 07-19-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Fluorescents are actually quite efficient. Not quite as good as an LED, but much better than a halogen or incandescent bulb. Nice thing about LEDs is that you can just replace the bulb, don't need to change the entire fixture.
Old 07-20-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Fluorescents are actually quite efficient. Not quite as good as an LED, but much better than a halogen or incandescent bulb. Nice thing about LEDs is that you can just replace the bulb, don't need to change the entire fixture.
In my case I needed a fixture as for some reason unknown to me Catalina did not install ANY overhead lighting in my C36. I think in the later MKII's they may have halogens in the overhead, but I have nothing but reading lights that are a bit above hip level when standing. The light is fine if you are sitting down reading but sux for everything else, so a rather large CFL fixture that pretty well lights the whole saloon is going to be a great addition and the red night lights are a nice fringe benefit.
Old 01-11-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Which Sensibulbs, the new ones or the old ones??? ($24 each for old ones)

I found the older style SensiBulb for $24 each with free shipping. This is the version with 2 leds.

I'm thinking about getting at least 8 (for the salon) and maybe more. Our boat has 22 overhead fixtures, not sure I want to do all of them at the same time.

Question is... Are these the best one's to buy, or are the newer ones really ok from a light-temperature standpoint? Which is better, the new ones or the older ones?

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .