Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-23-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
reverse cycle heat that uses sea water is limited by the sea water temp. I don't recall exactly but I seem to remember that below a 45d seawater temp, they don't work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2008
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
The boat next to me in the yard was bought cheap because of a fire caused by an electric heater and acorn nuts in the wiring.
Old 11-23-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
reverse cycle heat that uses sea water is limited by the sea water temp. I don't recall exactly but I seem to remember that below a 45d seawater temp, they don't work.
The colder the water is the harder it is to pull the heat energy out of it, so the unit becomes less efficient. I think it varies a little by model, but somewhere around 40 seems right. I thought about using reverse cycle to heat my home until I looked into it a little. Since our water supply would be around 40-42 it would not work.
However if it did work, and you were heating with reverse cycle I would have a some concerns over that method. If shore power went our and the pump failed you would end up with standing water in the plumbing. Seawater freezes somewhere around 28F, so it wouldn't be inconceivable that cabin temps could get below that and freeze, and possible rupture, the reverse cycle plumbing. Now you have a very expensive leak, and worrisome source of water coming in your boat...
Old 12-17-2008

TrueBlueCal44 is on a distinguished road
diesel heater

What about leaving a Dickinson diesel heater unattended? Does anyone ever leave that running during the day while off the boat at work? We liveaboard and to heat it up every night and then turn it off and let it get cold during the day is tough. Especially with this unusual "cold spell" we're having in Seattle!
Old 12-17-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I know it's not recommended and I'm uncomfortable doing it, but I left our new Wallas 40D diesel forced air furnace running from Friday night until Tuesday morning when I could put the boat back in the marina and hook up to shore power. There is no shore power out on the fuel float (where I had it because of the low tides) so an electric heater wasn't an option. It did a great job, kept the boat about 50F in 25-40K winds and temps in the low 20's, and the thermostat was set fairly low. I'm not going to make a habit of it, but it's nice to have as a backup if the power gets knocked out. I could actually check the status of the furnace from the cabin with binoculars, the red and yellow LED's were visible on the control through the side pilothouse windows (made me feel better at 2am when I got up to check it).

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-17-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
..... I could actually check the status of the furnace from the cabin with binoculars, the red and yellow LED's were visible on the control through the side pilothouse windows (made me feel better at 2am when I got up to check it)....
Now you're just bragging, John!

A beautiful boat, tied up in sight of your house.... I guess your Christmas list is pretty short!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-17-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
It will be longer after he transfers to boat to me.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 12-17-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
What about leaving a Dickinson diesel heater unattended? Does anyone ever leave that running during the day while off the boat at work? We liveaboard and to heat it up every night and then turn it off and let it get cold during the day is tough. Especially with this unusual "cold spell" we're having in Seattle!
This past week, I heard several unattended diesel heaters going on the dock each morning I went down to check on our boat. We have one of the Dickenson diesel heaters. The previous owner was liveaboard down at Shilshole. She used to leave it running while she was at work. I haven't worked up the nerve to do it myself, although we've had it running for a few days at a time while we were on board.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I can hear a few boats with diesel or propane type heaters going when I've checked on my boat over the last few days. I personally have on of the newer electric heaters for the last three winters. Works fine. Some folks have put a cookie sheet under it in case the heater melts vs leaving it on the wood flooring.

Marty
Old 12-17-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Some folks have put a cookie sheet under it in case the heater melts vs leaving it on the wood flooring.
I actually have my little electric heater sitting on top of our Dickenson stove. Figured it was the most fire proof thing on the boat if the fit hit the shan.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.