Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-24-2008
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
One obscure advantage of a footed or shelf-footed main for cruisers/passage-makers is that you can catch rainwater with it. some cruisers even have zippers stitched into the foot so they could let the extra pootch out or zip it away.

A bolt rope spreads the forces most evenly, but when you reef all the downward/outward strain is on the clew anyhow. I should guess there's less spillage at the base of a footed main, but you can get a cleaner airfoil shape down low with a loose foot. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Proponents of shelf/footed mains will tout the "end plate" effect of the shelf reducing pressure loss around the "loose foot"... Personally I doubt that that effect is significant in the end.

The more uniform shape, easier outhaul loads and ease of bending and unbending the sail that comes with the loose foot (along with simplified reef line rigging, as per SD) come out in its favour for me.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're a very wise man...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Proponents of shelf/footed mains will tout the "end plate" effect of the shelf reducing pressure loss around the "loose foot"... Personally I doubt that that effect is significant in the end.

The more uniform shape, easier outhaul loads and ease of bending and unbending the sail that comes with the loose foot (along with simplified reef line rigging, as per SD) come out in its favour for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-24-2008
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
So, does that mean that with a loose foot there's less heeling as the wind picks up and thus you don't need to reef as fast?
Old 11-24-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCountry View Post
So, does that mean that with a loose foot there's less heeling as the wind picks up and thus you don't need to reef as fast?
I wouldn't say that that is necessarily true... but you will find that with a new, flatter sail you'll end up reefing later because you'll get more drive/less heeling forces due to it's more efficient shape and adjustablility.

But you'd likely have the same issues with a "bagged out" loose footed sail as with an attached-foot main.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-24-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I think you guys are confusing terms. The choice you have to make is not between a loose footed main and a shelf footed main. The choice is between a mainsail with an attached foot and and one with a loose foot. A shelf foot is an option that you can get with either of those types of sail.

A sail with a standard, attached foot has a shape that's good for most purposes, but a shelf foot allows you to shape the mainsail with a very deep pocket along the foot, which generates more power in light air. As the boat's speed increases, you adjust the outhaul to gradually decrease the depth of the pocket.

Because the shelf foot is used in light air, most sailors won't feel or perceive a difference in the boat's speed or the sail's power, unless you're near another boat, where you can compare your speed.

I raced and cruised with a shelf footed mainsail for many years and loved it, but, it works best with a little more active trimming than a mainsail without a shelf foot. I can't think of any reason why either a racer or cruiser wouldn't want a shelf foot, but most people don't have them. I suspect it's just because most people don't know about them. If you get a shelf foot, I'd recommend you also get a flattening reef, for those occasions when you have a lot of wind and need to flatten the sail to the max. The flattening reef is especially useful with an attached footed mainsail. It might not be as useful with a loose footed sail. If you're going to buy a loose footed sail, I'd suggest you ask your sailmaker's opinion on that question.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.