Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-29-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Nice tip, I'll give it a try .... I found it interesting as you leave yours in, then un-plug for cleaning. I leave mine off, then plug when need info ... barnacles here would block the paddle within a week or so .... thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Rocky,
True wind can be expressed two ways, either by true direction/bearing or relative direction/bearing. The true wind might be from 045 degrees (NE) and it might be then something completely different depending on the boat's heading relative to the wind for relative wind. Relative wind can be referred to either from 0 degrees to 180 degrees, port or starboard. Or it can be referenced 0 to 360 degrees clockwise from the bow. The former is more common.

You'll have noticed I left apparent wind out of the description as it's a completely different animal.
Old 11-29-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Sail....

I thought apparent wind and relative wind were the same thing. The boat would "see" the wind direction relative to the boat, and so what it "sees" is "apparently" happening. Maybe not.

I am not keen on those dinky toy instruments anyway. On a long crossing, they tend to get seawater-damp and drop out on you. For now, I have GPS (16 years old, and still running), water speed, water depth, and next season a masthead wind speed indicator (apparent!!) is planned. That should be enough. The British(?) outfit NASA seem to make a good one, and it's not too expensive.

Most of the time when you are watching wind speed is when you are getting blasted by a gale. Relative and apparent arguments don't matter quite so much then.
Old 11-29-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
There is a small problem, however. The ST-60 system uses boat speed not speed over ground and compass course not COG to calculate true wind speed and direction even though both are available on SeaTalk. In a situation of current, drift is let oout of the calculation. I asked a Raymarien tech about this at a boat show and he gave me a B.S. answer as to why SOG and COG were not used.
Old 12-01-2008
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Raymarine is a division of Raytheon. The latter is a big supplier of high-tech military hardware to the the U.S. military. Things that make you go
Not for some time now, There was an MBO, its a public UK company and its share price has tanked in the last year.