Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
There's 2 lines for each reef. (Double line reefing?)
Yup...that's what it'd be called.

Quote:
I don't think I'd trust a figure 8 knot. I read somewhere (maybe sailnet) about a better stopper knot that doesn't come undone, and converted all my figure 8s to it. Not sure of the name for it.
Generally called a stopper knot.

Quote:
The bowline sounds the best. That and half hitches can't be beat IMHO.
If there's any chance you might need to untie it under a load, a round turn and two half-hitches are a better solution...but a bowline works for most reefing setups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2008

kgs113 is on a distinguished road
I've been a big fan of the timber hitch. I have two reef points in my main and a pad eye for only one. Tried the timber hitch and it was very secure. BTW I have a loose footed main.
The Timber Hitch (Lumberman's or Countryman's Knot)
Old 12-02-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Buntline hitch works well with slippery lines. That, with a seized tail, is what I use for my reef lines which terminate on eye straps on the side of the boom. I don't like that setup but it hasn't failed yet for 3 years and several thousand miles. Some people seem to have success running the reef line through the sheave, through the cringe, down and under the boom and then back to the Becket on the block. Boats with modern booms seem to have everything internal with usually only one reefing line coming out of the end of the boom. I never understood trying to reef with the reefing line coming out of the end of the boom, such a bad angle.
Old 12-02-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Sailboy, can you send a picture or a shetch of that? Too many Beckets and Sheaves. For a minute I thought you were talking about some English neighborhood you live in. (Also a picture of your setup if you have one.)

For the rest of us mortals, here's his buntline hitch:

Old 12-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One problem with the buntline hitch is that if it is left in for any period of time, it basically becomes impossible to remove. The Bowline or Round Turn with Two-half-hitches are much better choices, since they're almost always possible to untie.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-02-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You should refer to post #15 of this older thread

Reefing, Spiral Lacing vs single line and how to tell what you've got?

as to how to secure the bitter ends of your reefing lines. Read the post carefully as the answer is not obvious. You don't need any fancy knots or hitches, and the sliding eyes on the bottom of the boom are not attachment points.
Old 12-02-2008
Telstar 28

Sailboy-

One reason to use internal sheaves is to reduce the torque load of the reefing lines on the boom. The closer the sheaves the reefing lines use are to the centerline of the boom, the less torque they apply to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
Buntline hitch works well with slippery lines. That, with a seized tail, is what I use for my reef lines which terminate on eye straps on the side of the boom. I don't like that setup but it hasn't failed yet for 3 years and several thousand miles. Some people seem to have success running the reef line through the sheave, through the cringe, down and under the boom and then back to the Becket on the block. Boats with modern booms seem to have everything internal with usually only one reefing line coming out of the end of the boom. I never understood trying to reef with the reefing line coming out of the end of the boom, such a bad angle.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Sailboy, can you send a picture or a shetch of that? Too many Beckets and Sheaves. For a minute I thought you were talking about some English neighborhood you live in. (Also a picture of your setup if you have one.)

For the rest of us mortals, here's his buntline hitch:

Fine... I'll draw a picture. Words haven't been coming out of my head right lately... getting old sucks. BTW this is not how my boat is currently setup, but a setup I have observed on other peoples boats that seems to work.

I changed the color of the reefing line from green to yellow as it passes through the reef point.
Old 12-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sailboy-

One reason to use internal sheaves is to reduce the torque load of the reefing lines on the boom. The closer the sheaves the reefing lines use are to the centerline of the boom, the less torque they apply to it.
You mean its not just to make everything look clean and fancy???
There isn't any torque on the boom in the setup I posted above if the reef line is cleated off to the boom. Lines led aft is a whole other ball game...
Old 12-03-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Well done Sailboy! Now we have another person to fear. We have to keep Giuletta from getting our pictures, yes. But Sailboy could just draw us doing something silly.

I see what you mean.