Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-04-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
nitpicking the angular relationships in my 2 minute paint picture? Wow...
Sailboy, sorry about that. That wasn't my intention but I can see why you took it that way.

We were really just discussing the proper attachment points for the reef line -- your illustration came in handy for discussion purposes. Thanks for posting it -- it succeeds at illustrating your point and it's far better than anything I could have drawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Sailingfool and Tweitz. I can picture it now, with either the line tied back to itself (with half hitches, I would think) or with a bowline around the boom. Come spring I'll have to try both methods and see.

tweitz -- what you describe matches the diagram in my manual. My main doesn't have the built in blocks. My setup is different than the manual.

Also the boat is setup for double line reefing, done at the mast. (Dogs on the boom, no mast or deck hardware to bring the lines down and back.) I'd have to add some hardware to bring the lines back to the cockpit. That would make sense, so I'll hold off on getting reefing hooks.

The new deck hardware is going to be below a bunch of other things on the priority list (harness, tethers, jacklines, life raft inspection, rudder bushing double-check, keel rust, radar, adding a 3rd reef to the sail). I do like the idea of having the 1st reef stay at the mast and the second reef done from the cockpit. And the 3rd too, if so equipped.

Last edited by Bene505; 12-04-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: stickler for grammar
Old 12-04-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
You once sent me this picture. Did you get it from your manual. Add a fairlead and maybe a block and you could do the same thing.
One line instead of two.
Attached Thumbnails
How attach reefing lines-reef.jpg  
Old 12-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A double-line reefing system is probably a better choice IMHO. YOu can read why it is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
You once sent me this picture. Did you get it from your manual. Add a fairlead and maybe a block and you could do the same thing.
One line instead of two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
David,

I'm not sure if the dogs on the mast end of the boom would make a single-line system workable without having to be replaced. And if a double line system is better, it would be better to rig that up, IMHO.

Since I have to go to the mast to lower the main, I'll need to make some modifications there too. So this is probably a project for next winter. I'd love to get your take on which pieces of gear to buy and how to go about mounting them. Then I'll start collecting the pieces between now and then.

Regards