Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-03-2008
Baybilly

Spiritman is on a distinguished road
Second dog's idea.

I have the same setup as he does with an Edson diaphragm pump that will clear the shyte from a thirty gallon holding tank in about a minute. The exhaust from the tank goes to a Jabsco lockable Y-valve that directs the flow to the deck fitting or over to the pump. I've installed a check valve between the Y and the pump to help with the priming. It's worked perfectly for the past six years.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2008

scosch is on a distinguished road
I installed a tee in the pump out hose between my holding tank and the on deck pump out port. Then I put a good diaphram pump between that tee and a new thru hull with no Y valves anywhere. No second holding tank pump out hose. The thru hull is closed unless pumping overboard and with a closed thru hull, the shore based pump out works fine too. I think an antisyphon loop is important.
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosch View Post
I installed a tee in the pump out hose between my holding tank and the on deck pump out port. Then I put a good diaphram pump between that tee and a new thru hull with no Y valves anywhere. No second holding tank pump out hose. The thru hull is closed unless pumping overboard and with a closed thru hull, the shore based pump out works fine too. I think an antisyphon loop is important.
Don't believe an anti-siphon loop is necessary, since the vented holding tank should act as a siphon break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2008

perfecttempotim is on a distinguished road
pumpout

I LIKE it, Scosch! Simple. What kind of pump do you use? And is the thru hull above or below the waterline? Call me crazy but I subscribe to the Pardy's paranoia about thru hulls.
Old 12-07-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttempotim View Post
I LIKE it, Scosch! Simple. What kind of pump do you use? And is the thru hull above or below the waterline? Call me crazy but I subscribe to the Pardy's paranoia about thru hulls.
Here is a little trick. Put the thruhull just under the normal waterline, maybe about 1-2" That way it is hidden from normal view, but there are no embarrassing streaks running down the side of the boat... The way mine is positioned I can actually change the ball valve with the boat floating in her slip Kind neat to look down into the mushroom and see water just sitting there. But only do that on a CALM day!
Old 12-07-2008

scosch is on a distinguished road
I believe it was a "Domestic" (probably imported, ha) Sanipump, diaphram type, from WM. WM also carries a Whale pump with similar specs. The important factor was that it was made (so they say) for waste and wouldnt burn out if run dry accidentally. I originally considered a macerator type pump but they have a reputation for burning up when run dry and although cheaper, one replacement would nullify any savings. I figured by the time the waste had traveled thru all the hoses, the holding tank and the pump that it would be almost "macerated" anyway.
Yes the thru hull is below the water line, but not much. Seems like it belongs below the water line for reasons mentioned. Im not frightened of correctly installed thru hulls.
And Im not convinced that you dont need a siphon loop between the tank and thru hull but it may depend on your installation. Seems to me like the holding tank vent is not in the correct place to solve the problem and is not anymore useful than an open container would be in stopping siphon action. I defer to greater experience but I would think that part through.
Old 12-07-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The only thing that the anti-siphon loop would do (if between the holding tank and the through hull) would stop the holding tank from back-filling with water. The holding tank would be pumped out only periodically anyway. When not actually pumping it out you would close the seacock and would have to for the deck pumpout to have suction.
Old 12-08-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The only thing that the anti-siphon loop would do (if between the holding tank and the through hull) would stop the holding tank from back-filling with water. The holding tank would be pumped out only periodically anyway. When not actually pumping it out you would close the seacock and would have to for the deck pumpout to have suction.
Some heads are below sea level at certain angles of heel. If there was a failure in both the flapper valves in the pump and in the head all at the same time it is conceivable you could flood your head... But since you would be sailing at the time hopefully someone would notice! I don't know any setup where a seawater flushed toilet is mounted below normal sealevel, even on Navy ships. That just seems like an entirely bad idea.
Old 12-08-2008

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Hi Tim
We went to the Bahamas with a Tartan 27 and the holding tank only held 12 gals.We used a gusher pump with a very long hose on the discharge end(Could double up if sinking and reach the cabin with swapped ends and still pump while sailing) and a fitting that fitted the deck outlet.This we used when in deep water or only on a strong ebb tide in an anchorage. The hose was then rinsed by pumping sea water through it ,no problem and cheap.Ellinor from Keldee

Last edited by Keldee; 12-08-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2008

boofus is on a distinguished road
Siphoning would depend on the dip tubes. the only way water could bypass the vented tank would be to siphon though the inlet and out the through hull. The holding tank inlet would have to be below the level of liquid in the tank for this to be possible, but it would go in and straight out. System would be no different than the sink drain, filling to whatever the waterline is.
It might even do a little flushing.......