Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
While water could possibly siphon into the holding tank, it couldn't siphon out. Water doesn't siphon out of a boat through a positive pressure through hull(a through hull below the waterline). But the through hull would be closed except when pumping out the holding tank when at sea. It would have to be closed to use the deck pumpout otherwise no suction would be created. This is the simplest system because a "Y" valve is not required.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Unless of course the holding tank is mounted above the waterline which is unlikely.
Old 12-09-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Unless of course the holding tank is mounted above the waterline which is unlikely.
Ever pressurized a holding tank? All it takes is for something to get clogged in the vent line. Not a unlikely scenario. Things warm up a little and....
Old 12-09-2008
rolandptaylor

rolandptaylor is on a distinguished road
Pumpout stations don't always work, so be sure and try the switch before you open the deck fitting. I didn't, and the results was not pretty. The pressure from the (should have been pumped a while back,) buildup of crap caused me to run for my life. A 3 foot high column of waste looked like Ole Faithful. After the initial blow (Think whale spout) we were still not empty. The deck was covered and runniing down the rail. I had my wife go below to pump the head handle. We did this for quite sometime with intermittent blast nearly as big as the first. We kept pumping until we saw some lake water coming thru. Many buckets of water later the deck was washed down. It took longer to remove the brown streak below the relief valve, located high on the starboard side and hidden behind my dock box. It was thankfully, late in the season and no one was around. In the summer we would had an audience. Pumpouts don't always work but I often check behind my dock box.
Old 12-21-2008

perfecttempotim is on a distinguished road
pumpout

Dear Ellinor,
What you said is exactly what I'm envisioning: no thru hulls, worries about siphoning, electrical work, etc. Can you be more specific about your system? Did you put the holding tank end of the pump down through the deck fitting into the holding tank? What kind of deck fitting and pump did you use? Did you attach the pump to the deck in any way?
thanks,
Tim
Old 12-21-2008

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Pumping Out

Hello Tim
We bought a Whale Gusher Titan pump attached it to a board long enough to place a foot on to allow better stability.Good marine quality flexible white hose with diameter matching the pump in and out fittings.Hose lengths must be long enough to use pump on a flat safe surface(preferably cockpit) output hose must be long enough to trail in the water .Intake hose should be long enough to go in cabin to pump out if boat sinking.A nylon fitting was adapted(filed down) to be a tight fit in the holding tank deck fitting.No need to go right down into holding tank.
After pump out was finished the intake hose was dangled in the water and THOROUGHLY pumped through to rinse out.Now comes the down side to this system! You need several tough plastic bags to keep the pump and hose in after draining as much fluid out as possible as no matter how well you rinse there is some residual odour.
If you keep an eye on holding tank levels emptying can be done in an organised fashion in good weather, if all else fails there is always a bucket then chuck it over board.
Ellinor with help from hubby Dave
Old 12-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailboy-

You might want to re-do your plumbing when you get the chance. If you get an obstruction in the hose after the the waste line joins the sink drain line, but before the through hull, you could end up pumping waste up in to the sink... and I'm guessing that your holding tank is bigger than your sink...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-21-2008

perfecttempotim is on a distinguished road
pumping out

I love it, Ellinor (and Dave). Even more important, my wife loves it (as long as I'm the one who does the pumping). I'm ordering a whale marine toilet pump tomorrow -- with the same 1.5" inlet/outlet -- which may be a little more suitable for waste pumping. We're going to the Bahamas, too. Fortunately, our holding tank is a little larger. But when we do need to pump overboard, the outlet house will fit down through our catamaran trampoline.
We'll be sure to get some long, spare houses for emergency bilge pumping, as well. Thanks much!
Tim
Old 12-24-2008

Keldee is on a distinguished road
You are welcome Tim (and all important first mate) Any questions feel free to ask.
We spent 2 years in the Keys and the Bahamas a few years ago and am now enjoying pristine North Channel.
Ellinor
Old 12-27-2008

sapo is on a distinguished road
head?

hope i'm not too off-topic with this. i've rebuilt the aft head on my boat (caliber 40,yr 2000), and now i'm replacing the hoses. they seem high grade, but they show crystals on the outside, and the boat's stinky. i'm surprised by how much build-up i found inside the head pump, and in the hoses. most of it looks like grey mineral (calcium?). the hoses are constricted to maybe 50% average of their original diameter.

normal? is there something i need to do to keep this from happening again? Nigel Calder mentions stuff like this, and talks about dumping acid down the head. seems like it would be hard on the hoses, through-hulls, etc.