Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 16
Sounds like the hoses probably need replacement. Try taking a cloth soaked in hot water and wiping down the outside of the hose. If you can then smell the cloth and need to go ewwwww....your hoses are permeated and need to be replaced. No need to bother with cleaning out the insides...just replace.
If they do NOT smell bad...then you need to dissolve the scale inside them. In my experience, vinegar works decently for regular maintenance and minor scale but not for 50% closed like you have. For what you have, you need muriatic acid.
"If you suspect you already have a scale build-up, dissolve it with a 10% solution of muriatic acid, available from most hardware stores. The acid won't harm porcelain, plastic, or rubber parts. It does attack metal, but consequential damage takes a long time. The biggest danger is to eyes and skin, so be sure you observe all label precautions.
Pour two cups of acid into the bowl. It will fizz as it reacts with the calcium deposits on the bowl valve. When the fizzing stops, pump the head-intake closed-just enough to empty the bowl. This moves the acid into the pump. After a few minutes pump again to move the acid into the discharge hose. Let it sit a few more minutes before opening the intake and thoroughly flushing the toilet and lines. The acid is "used up" as it reacts with the calcium, so heavy scaling may call for more than one treatment. Scale and salt also find their way into the anti-siphon valve in the discharge line. Remove the valve and soak it in warm, soapy water to dissolve deposits that could be holding it shut-or open." Don Casey
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!