Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-03-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Brion Toss' "Making Your Own Eye Splices" DVD

Hi All,

Quick question: Does anybody here have this DVD, or has seen it, and can tell me if its instruction is applicable to using more traditional fids, as well as Toss' splicing wand?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, I have seen it. The instructions in it apply to regular fids as well as the Toss Splicing Wand. However, I think the splicing wands are pretty good as splicing tools go, and may be worth getting if you don't have any fids yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2008

Thanks, Dog. So I guess the follow-up question would be: Is the DVD worthwhile?

Btw: I have a selection of fids already:

Jim
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sorry Jim,

I couldn't say without watching it again...since its been a fair bit since I saw it, and didn't watch the whole thing at the time to begin with.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-03-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
You can watch an instructional video on use of the splicing wand for $5 on Sailrite. Once purchased, you can watch it multiple times. Double Braid Eye Splice With a Splicing Wand Streaming Video

I recently had to splice a high tech line and just couldn't do it with my conventional fids. After a week of agonizing, I broke down and bought the splicing wand. At $60, the price seemed outrageous. Now I can't imagine splicing any other way.
Old 12-03-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
In spite of my hurt feelings. sniff, sniff, I wouldn't mind elaborating on any of the aspects of the video that SD referenced earlier. I know the video quality leaves a lot to be desired. But the splice is simple to master. However, Brian probably explains it better and the video may be worth buying. I haven't seen it.
Your fids are fine. I would smooth off the edges of the groove and buff them out though.
Old 12-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
In spite of my hurt feelings. sniff, sniff, I wouldn't mind elaborating on any of the aspects of the video that SD referenced earlier.
LOL! Actually, I haven't had an opportunity to look at that video yet, KH. It doesn't show up in the post at all, here at work (I'm guessing the HTTP proxy rules are nailing it for some reason), there's no URL mentioned and I couldn't find it in a search on any terms I could think of on youtube (which is where I *ass*umed it was located). I keep forgetting to fire-up The Admiral's Windows PC at home to look at it.

Jim
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

Knothead... I did refer him to your video first... even complimented you on it in the other thread...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-03-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I don't think the wands are that great. I've used mechanics wire, and wire hangers along with fids to do splices. I've also switched to doing a core-to-core splice because its easier.

I'd like to watch someone splice 1/4" line. The big stuff is a cake walk, you can use fids all day long.
Old 12-03-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
LOL! Actually, I haven't had an opportunity to look at that video yet, KH. It doesn't show up in the post at all, here at work (I'm guessing the HTTP proxy rules are nailing it for some reason), there's no URL mentioned and I couldn't find it in a search on any terms I could think of on youtube (which is where I *ass*umed it was located). I keep forgetting to fire-up The Admiral's Windows PC at home to look at it.

Jim
Jim, I'll try to embed it here but if it doesn't work you can just go to u-tube (norseaknothead) and find it there.
I'm sure it's not as good as Brian's but I'm right here if you have any questions about it. I'm not sure Brian is that approachable. But he does answer questions on his forum "Spartalk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Knothead... I did refer him to your video first... even complimented you on it in the other thread...
I know. I thought he saw it and I just figured that he wasn't able to make heads or tails of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I'd like to watch someone splice 1/4" line. The big stuff is a cake walk, you can use fids all day long.
No difference really, just need to use a smaller fid. I use 1/4" for all my lazy jack kits.