Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-03-2008

iwm is on a distinguished road
Opinions on "remanufactured" electronics?

I'm beginning the process of updating the electronics on our boat (chartplotter, radar, etc). Buying "remanufactured" seems to save 30-50%. Is it worth the risk?

My only remanufactured experience has been with a garmin streetpilot which has worked flawlessly for a couple of years.

so would you buy remanufactured electronics? any good or bad experiences?

thanks

Van
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
In the past I have pruchased remanufactured Garmin products and had no problems as well. I would have no hesitation buying remanufactured items directly from the factory or a factory authorized dealer.
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Provided they come with the standard factory warranty, I don't see any real issue with buying "refurbished" or "re-manufactured" electronics. If they come with a shorter warranty, then that may be an issue. In either case, I'd connect them ASAP and run them for about a week straight. IIRC, most electronics will fail in the first 100 hours if they're going to fail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I've never had a problem with re-manufactured (meaning it left the factory with faulty quality control the first time, then got sent back under warranty and fixed) items.
Most of the time they get a much better QA check the second time around anyway.
Old 12-03-2008

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
Although sometimes difficult, I would want to know why it was reconditioned. Sometimes its just that someone opened the box had regrets and returned it. Other times it may mean that something is actually broken or malfunctioning. I purchased a laptop a year ago that was "refurbished", but I knew why it was refurb'd-the CD drive kept popping out for no reason.

Chris
Old 12-03-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAgent View Post
Although sometimes difficult, I would want to know why it was reconditioned. Sometimes its just that someone opened the box had regrets and returned it. Other times it may mean that something is actually broken or malfunctioning. I purchased a laptop a year ago that was "refurbished", but I knew why it was refurb'd-the CD drive kept popping out for no reason.

Chris
^^^the refurbished laptop im on right now needed a new hardrive after 3 months of owning.....luckily it had the warranty and was solved quickly. Probably similar for most electronic as long as its from the factory and not just some shmoe they should be fine
Old 12-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I was in electronics for three decades. Truly re-manufactured units are just as reliable as regular goods. The vast majority of units returned to mfrs. by customers through stores have NOTHING wrong with them in the first place and these are carefully checked and repackaged at a bargain price with a warranty. We call these returns ESO's...or "Equipment Smarter than Operator" units. Be not afraid!
I do NOT extend the same feelings towards laptops or PC's where mechanical elements (keys, drives, etc.) are involved and may have wear issues.
Old 12-04-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
An ESO.

I will remember that.