Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-04-2008

Voyager2007 is on a distinguished road
Deisel Engine Question

I have a Westerbeke 58 that has close to 8000 hrs on it. It runs like a champ....starts 1st time every time and has never missed a beat. I was considering rebuilding or even re-powering before we head to the South Pacific. Now I'm considering heading out and dealing with it at a later date. Here's my question: What would you have rebuilt/replaced (injectors, injector pump, etc) at this time. I have plenty of spares, but would like the engine to be in the best condition that it can be in given the hours it has on it without pulling it.

Thanks!
Voyager2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have a Westerbeke 52 with only 1,350 hours on it in 20 years (and 20 winterizations, 18 of which I didn't perform). We are planning a circ in 2-3 years and I am having the engine rebuilt this winter (or rather, gone over with a fine-toothed comb to see if anything needs rebuilding), because I may put on 1,000 hours a year for the next five years on a block that's seen maybe 80 a year until now. It is worth it for me to replace early and to replace injectors, heat exchanger, lift pump, gaskets, etc. now than halfway through our trip. By the end of our trip, we could have those 8,000 hours you have now. I want a fresh start, and I want everything that is working today (because the engine works fine) as spares for the trip. I have had some success with the "early retirement" of bits and pieces that have become spares and find, for instance, the bolting on of entire engine parts (like pumps) easier at sea than servicing them...that can wait for the next anchorage.

So I guess the answer is simple: would you rather rebuild here or in Fiji? 8,000 hours is well into middle age...do it here and now.
Old 12-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it ain't broke don't mess with it. There's no guarantee that the rebuilt/replaced parts would work as reliably as what you've already got there. Carry spares... and the tools and know-how to swap them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
I might have an oil analysis and the compression tested first, then proceed if it appears warrented.

I'm a firm believer in maintenence but sometimes less is more!!
Old 12-04-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Saildog is right.
Don't mess with something that is in top form.
There is enough trouble in the world without inviting it.
The motor is already in good condition.
Is it using oil? It starts fine, and that is a huge advantage.
Bring the spares with you, but an older motor like that will detest being disturbed to be re-bored, for example.
Old 12-08-2008

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Look at it. Listen to it. Feel it. Smell it. Taste it, if you have too (e.g. salt vs. not in places where it shouldn't be).

But I agree, if it aint broke...
Old 12-09-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Voyager,

I can relate to both of the general positions expressed above -- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has merit. It's basically what I've decided to do with my older engine -- the issues I have with it are inconvenient and cosmetic (e.g. oil leak and other minor things like that). But then, I'm not thinking of sailing off over the horizon. If I were I think I'd replace the engine. Reasons are these (and they may not all hold in your situation):

1. There are a limited number of places in the South Pacific where you can have an engine rebuilt / a boat repowered with confidence that it will be done right. There may be a guy who can do it in Fiji, but I know there are probably four to five really competent mechanical shops in major New Zealand or Australian ports. Outside NZ and Oz, and maybe Tahiti, I really don't know how good the mechanical trades will be. (Others may have first hand experience with engine work in the Pac. islands, I dont. I've been to many of them by air and few have impressed me as the kind of place where I'd want to have major engine overhaul work done). Remember as well that if you repower in a far away place, you may also have to rework other elements of the drive train. New engine might mean a new prop -- new prop might require new shaft, etc. While the local diesel mechanic in Tonga may be able to rebuild the engine, can he engineer and configure the other elements of your drive train as well?

2. After major engine work is done you're going to want to hang around for a while to run the engine in a bit and make certain everything is working as it should. I have friends who had major engine work done (or mis-done) in Turkey and they have been dealing with a cascade of problems that originated with the Turkish mechanic all across the Mediterannean -- including a $1000 towing bill and an haul out in Corfu to deal with a misaligned prop shaft. Is the place where you finally decide you need to replace or rebuild the engine, a place where you want to hang out a while to make sure it all works as advertised? That's impossible to know.

3. In remote parts of the world it will take a while to order an engine or rebuild kit, and you may not be able to get what you want everywhere. It's conceiveable that it could take months from the time you decide to repower / rebuild until you are ready to sail again (order the parts / engine, wait for it to be shipped, time in transit, time to clear customs, time for mechanical work to be done, etc). Unless you're in NZ or Oz, there will be the issue of making sure you have time to get the work done and get out of the cyclone box. Break down in Tonga toward the end of the sailing season and you may not be able to get the work done and get out of the box.

4. It may cost more to have work done in remote places -- not so much because of the mechanic's hourly wages, but from freight costs, customs duties, frieght forwarding fees, etc. Importing an engine or even a major parts kit into a remote So. Pac island nation could be very expensive.

If you decide to go with the old engine, you might want to first research some of the above issues before you leave -- i.e. know what your options are, where you can get work done competently, what types of engines are available, what it would cost to import an engine/parts, etc. Cruising guides may provide a place to start this research.

With luck you probably won't need to use your engine that much in the So. Pacific -- winds are pretty reliable there. I don't know where you're starting from, but there may be a few days on the engine out of Panama or even getting off the Pacific coast until you find the wind, but once you're in the trades the hours on the engine should be relatively few.

The decision to replace/repower or go with what you've got also will depend on your budget. There may be other things more valueable to you in the So. Pac than a new or rebuilt engine -- e.g. a watermaker, new sails, etc.??

Good luck and have a great trip!!

Last edited by billyruffn; 12-09-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
8000 hrs related to a road going vehicle amounts to probably around 300,000 miles. This is definitelyt not a time that the average small truck engine would be overhauled. They would generally run a lot longer than that.

And your engine relatively is in a very stress-free environment, running at constant speeds with constant loads. Unlike a vehicle engine that is constantly working hard up and down the rev and work-load ranges.

There is no reason to believe that if the engine has been routinely cared for that 8000 hrs is the end of the road so to speak. So if you have a compression test done, get a master guage to check your oil pressure and maybe do an oil analysis as a previous poster recommended and it all comes up clean, then spend your money on some new spare injectors, maybe a reconditioned pump and bundles of filters and hit the road (figuratively speaking).

It has often been said in the transport industry, give an engine clean air, clean fuel and clean oil and it will run forever. I subscribe to that edict. And thus I agree with the popular sentiment above - if it ain't broke etc.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-09-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Yes, don't mess with it. Check your prop alignment, have a look at your engine mounts, bring a spare injector or two, but don't strip the engine in search of problems.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.