I tought some of you guys out there migh get some mild amusement from the attached photo which is of an artifact I recently removed from my Morgan 30. It was mounted at the stern on the section of the hull which slopes down from the transom to the waterline (there must be a technical term for this, but it escapes me at the moment) and has been cunningly designed (
) to carry water from the cockpit drain and from the electric and manual bilge pumps.
The (large) inlet on the right was attached to the cockpit drain and the (small) inlet teed in on top was attached, via a tee piece to the bilge pumps. The outlet (attached to the large, handcrafted blob of epoxy putty) was situated over a hole in the hull. It all looked as though it had been there for quite some time.....
None of the piping associated with this fine piece of sculpture was in good condition, many of the fittings were of non-standard sizes and several were made from material not suitable for a marine environment (ie mild steel). In additon, the 1 1/2" manual pump and the 1 1/4" electric pump were both being constricted into a 3/4" barb fitting! I decided to replace the lot.
First puzzle was to remove the offending fitting and attached blob. This looked challenging, but proved to be very simple. Whoever had fashioned the epoxy had failed to prepare the hull and so, in spite of its unusually large surface area, it came away with barely a whisper. I replaced it with a thru-hull fitting of the correct size and then re-piped the whole system.
I now feel a good deal more secure about dealing with an unexpected ingress of water......