Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-05-2008
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
Plumbing par excellence

I tought some of you guys out there migh get some mild amusement from the attached photo which is of an artifact I recently removed from my Morgan 30. It was mounted at the stern on the section of the hull which slopes down from the transom to the waterline (there must be a technical term for this, but it escapes me at the moment) and has been cunningly designed ( ) to carry water from the cockpit drain and from the electric and manual bilge pumps.

The (large) inlet on the right was attached to the cockpit drain and the (small) inlet teed in on top was attached, via a tee piece to the bilge pumps. The outlet (attached to the large, handcrafted blob of epoxy putty) was situated over a hole in the hull. It all looked as though it had been there for quite some time.....

None of the piping associated with this fine piece of sculpture was in good condition, many of the fittings were of non-standard sizes and several were made from material not suitable for a marine environment (ie mild steel). In additon, the 1 1/2" manual pump and the 1 1/4" electric pump were both being constricted into a 3/4" barb fitting! I decided to replace the lot.

First puzzle was to remove the offending fitting and attached blob. This looked challenging, but proved to be very simple. Whoever had fashioned the epoxy had failed to prepare the hull and so, in spite of its unusually large surface area, it came away with barely a whisper. I replaced it with a thru-hull fitting of the correct size and then re-piped the whole system.

I now feel a good deal more secure about dealing with an unexpected ingress of water......

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing par excellence-dsc00898.jpg  

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm impressed that the boat didn't sink with that piece of work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
That looks like the "repair" I made on my toilet at home!!
Old 12-05-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Nice paint job on the epoxy though . . . .

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-05-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Holy crap! That's $6.00 worth of plumbing and $60.00 worth of West System.

Maybe whoever did it is a gambler, and just liked the excitement of knowing that when he was sailing the boat could sink at any time.

The PO should be punched in the head. Really hard. In fact a service where you could hire large angry people to punch POs in the head could really tap an under-serviced market. There's lots of pent-up demand.
Old 12-05-2008
Retired and happy

Dog - Yes, and that's just from the weight of epoxy!

WouldaSholda - Do you have a warning sign for visitors to your toilet?

Omatako - Yes, the paint job would have been very comforting as the captain went down with his boat wondering why the bilge pumps weren't working properly.....

Garymcq - Yeah, the cost of the replacement arrangement I installed must have been a lot less. Sadly, the PO was not a well man. having been involved a number of years ago in a major near-death experience with an artic. This does not excuse him, of course, since he must have done the plumbing long before this. However, I take your point about POs in a more general sense.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 12-05-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
above water line?

Hello,

Unless I have missed something, that piece was attached to something above the waterline, right? So, while really ugly and not a very good design, I don't think it was unsafe.

On my boat I have one drain for the automatic bilge pump, another for the manual bilge pump and two more for the cockpit scuppers. So that is 4 holes in the boat for drains. I can see the attraction of having just 1 hole, but there must be a good reason for having 4 separate holes.

Barry

Old 12-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Barry-

It was not very far above said water line... and if the boat had been pooped in a storm, that could have easily brought that mess below the waterline... and lead to the boat doing bad things like sinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

Unless I have missed something, that piece was attached to something above the waterline, right? So, while really ugly and not a very good design, I don't think it was unsafe.

On my boat I have one drain for the automatic bilge pump, another for the manual bilge pump and two more for the cockpit scuppers. So that is 4 holes in the boat for drains. I can see the attraction of having just 1 hole, but there must be a good reason for having 4 separate holes.

Barry

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Some poor guy put a lot of time and effort into that and you simply ripped it out. Nice.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-05-2008
Retired and happy

Dog and BarryL, you are both correct. The outlet is above the waterline, so no immediate cause for alarm in calm seas, but on a run with biggish following seas it might have been a different matter.

Sailortjk1 - as they would say in my native Scotland - Aye, right!!.

Apart from its precariousness, I guess that the arrangement worked in a kind of way, but lacked the integrity and high levels of functionality that are so important when things go pear shaped.......

Stuart