Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-06-2008

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
Beta Auxiliary engine

I am looking at a boat that has recently had a Beta Marine Diesel engine installed. I know of Universal, Yanmar etc. But have not heard of Beta. Does anybody have any insight into this engine and are they any good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Beta uses Kubota engines.
Old 12-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Beta makes a very good marine diesel based on various Kubota diesel blocks. Designed for ease of maintenance and reliability.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-06-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
They are Kubota-based, and a damn good motor. They cannot, nor do they try to, rip you off for spare parts as the motors are often found in fork-lifts, and other uses. I have checked some of the spare parts prices, and although not cheap, they are not a rip-off.

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/newsite/...038%20S_ds.pdf

They are quite high-revving, so there won't be much of a "chugg-chugg" to them. They have the usual Japanese quality. They have a cast-iron block and heads. They are not that heavy either.

On this motor, it looks like the gearbox is air-cooled, and so doesn't need plumbed into the coolant feed. Others are liquid cooled. It looks like the 'box can be removed easily too.

They say that the canshaft is gear-driven, so you won't have to suffer the uncertainties of toothed cam drive belts.

I know one guy that has one and speaks highly of it.

The 38 hp Kubota will be my next motor. My own motor is a good one.... the cast-iron block 35 hp Volvo MD17C.... but the spare parts prices have been descrided by one as "lunatic". I have noticed.

I have no latent or formal interest in Beta Marine or Kubota.

Last edited by Rockter; 12-07-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2008

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Yes Beta engines widely regarded are good. Spares are reasonably cheap and I believe they supply part numbers so you can order non marine parts.
If I was looking for a second hand boat my fist choice would be Yanmar second Beta then the rest.
Old 12-07-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I'd consider a new, properly installed Betamarine engine a major plus. No hesitation on that account.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
If I ever live long enough to outlast my rebuilt Atomic 4, I would choose the Betamarine "drop in" in a heartbeat. Their design with all "replaceables" within easy access is a big plus, as is their "tractor parts" heritage.
Old 12-07-2008

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
I have a Beta genset and, after a few teething issues, it has been a solid, reliable unit. As has been noted, it's a Kubota engine and I have been able to find parts in the Bahamas, which says a lot.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Islander Freeport 41
Nassau Bahamas
Old 12-08-2008
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Beta engine parts

The only parts you would have to buy from Beta are the heat exchanger parts. The end O rings etc. All the other engine parts can be purchased from any Kubota dealer.
Kubota tractor dealers are all over the world. It's really one of the easiest engines to get parts for and at reasonable cost. My injector pump went out in Bocas Del Toro and had it repaired in one day for 75.00 U.S.
Fair Winds
Cap'n Dave
Old 12-08-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
The motor is tough too. I know of one that was thrashed day after day as a wee cement mixer, and still it runs, and runs.