SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Butyl tape questions.

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  JLBJR 
#1 ·
I went down to check the boat today and found a puddle on my cushion. It is time to re-bed the fixed ports and I thought I would give butyl tape a try (after doing some searching around this site). I have a few questions I could not find answers to. The ports are plastic with aluminum external frames through bolted with LOTS of fasteners.

Is there a source in the Seattle area?
What do you clean it up with? I will make a mess. so "be carefull" is not helpfull.
Can it be used in cold and damp conditions?
The PO was fond of silicone, will butyl stick with the usual prep, or is there a lot of sanding in my future?

Thanks!

#2 ·
There may be a lot of sanding in your future. Silicone is tough to get rid of.
Butyl tape is just that, a tape - on a roll. So making a mess is harder to do. Not like caulk at all. Once you have it on, you trim off the excess. Might need some acetone to wipe off the residue.

As for sources, call around to RV parts places. Most will have it in grey & black and in various widths.

Not sure about cold damp conditions. if the butyl is flexable it should apply when cold. I would think you would want the surfaces dry.

#3 ·
Maybe the wet cushion was from the condensate melting off your ports from that freeze we had earlier this week? I would confirm the source of the wet cushions first because I'm a big believer in "if it's not broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it is a true leak, I can see where the caulk has failed. I will check into the local places to buy the tape. Perhaps I can heat the tape to keep it flexible while using it. As long as I am taking the port apart I will probably replace the plastic and barrel bolts.

#12 ·
Follow this link to a tech sheet on Sabre's site. it will show you how to rebed the lexan into the aluminum frame and then how to use a combo of Butyl tape and caulking. Even if you don't have a Sabre, most of these frames are similar.

http://www.sabreyachts.com/pdf/RebedSabre28.pdf

I just completed this project, it came out great and I have a dry boat, at least for now.

After removing the interior screws, I used a dull putty knife and a razor knife to separate the frame from the boat and a lot of rubbing to remove whatever the last person used to caulk the window in. It is important to have a clean surface before you add the tape. One other thing, be sure to put painters masking tape around the opening before you add the caulking, it really makes clean up a lot easier.

Good luck.

JLBJR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.