SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Columbia 22 mast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/49530-columbia-22-mast.html)

pjboots 12-08-2008 02:07 AM

Columbia 22 mast

I have to take the mast down on my Columbia 22 (I am a new boat owner). I have lots of experience with the mast on a Hobbie cat but this is a completly different animal. How do I take this mast down? Can you recomend any recources? I am determined to do all the repairs on this boat myself so that I can learn as much as possible. Thank-you for your time.

Pjboots

timebandit 12-08-2008 03:04 AM

This is how I do my Mac.

Look twards the bottom of the page.

Mac22.Valentina - mods

pjboots 12-09-2008 01:39 AM

Your system looks great but your mast base looks different. On my boat the mast looks as if it attached directly to the deck; there is no pivot point for the mast. So my question is very simple: How do I detach the base of the mast so that the mast will lower? I can rope it down so that it does not swingout when the mast is coming down.

Pjboots

timebandit 12-09-2008 03:15 AM

Is there a hinge on your mast base?

sailingdog 12-09-2008 09:02 AM

Pjboots-

It would help a lot if you could post a photo of the mast base. :) I would highly recommend you get an account on a photo sharing website, like flickr.com and then post the photos there, and link to them here.

retclt 12-09-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timebandit (Post 414085)
Is there a hinge on your mast base?

PJ,

TB brings up a really good question. If your mast base has an external hinge it'll be a straight forward process. If it doesn't, like yours sounds, it will most likely have a hook and slot. The base on deck will have a hook fitting up into a slot in the bottom of the mast. If this is the case you need to make sure you know which way the mast comes down. Top to bow or top to stern. Mine lowers with the masthead tilting back toward the stern. If you guess wrong you'll break it before you know it. MAKE SURE you know before you do it. Google around. Also have help the first time. It's a lot heavier than it looks.

BayviewBob 12-09-2008 11:13 AM

Hey, PJ -- The flange your mast rests on extends only about one inch into the bottom of the mast. When I took mine down I put a heavy-duty mat/towel on the cabin top to protect it. With the stays loosened you can lift the mast straight off the flange, then the may will protect the boat as it "hinges" forward or aft. Be sure to disconnect the mast light wiring before you start taking it down too far, or it'll probably snap loose at some point. Make sense? Once it's loose you can follow Kenny's procedure (smarter) or my "muscle it" procedure (quicker) that we described back on the Columbia 22 list. Just go to "messages" and search the word "mast." Have fun and let us know how it goes. It's only scary the first time. :-) -Bob, C-22 #319 "First Draft"

pjboots 12-09-2008 11:57 AM

Thanks bayviewbob. That was the information I was looking for! I am taking it down this weekend with three friends (big friends!). I will let you know haw it goes on the columbia forum, I will also post it here.

Pjboots22

retclt 12-09-2008 12:09 PM

Don't forget the beer!

Perithead 12-11-2008 01:32 AM

pj,

It shouldn't be to difficult, the mast on a 22' sailboat generally isn't that heavy. You and your 2 freinds should be able to lower it easily.

Are you going to take it completely off the boat? If not, you need to have some sort of spot to rest the mast once you lower it, dont forget.

Since you said you will be repairing the boat yourself I take it that you are going to put alot into this sailboat. One thing I would recommend is a hinged mast base or some sort of a base that would make this easier if you ever want to lower the mast again. It could also help when the time comes that you raise the mast back up.

Check out these mast stepping videos at my website, they show you a few different ways people step and un-step their own masts.

Also, I see you said that you plan to do the repairs to the boat yourself, well go check out the sailboat projects section at my website, I bet you will find it useful.

Good luck with your boat!