Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2008

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Radio Cd player for the boat

I was wondering, your opinions on, whether you can use an old car stereo for the the boat? If not, and you have to use a marine certified radio/cd player any recommendations on the unit and speakers (not too expensive). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unless the radio is in a position where it may be exposed to spray, an old car radio should work just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2008

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
so power wise both should be the same right (marine cd player vs car cd player)?
Old 12-09-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Yes..

Yes, you can use car stereos I've been doing so for about 20 years with no failures. You'll get a lot more for your money with a car stereo than a dedicated "boat" stereo. Buy one rated "high power" (22X4 etc.) and it will be plenty for the boat..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Saurav-

The only reason I went with a marinized stereo for my boat was the mounting location by the companionway tends to get wet if the companionway is open and it is raining or we're sailing in the nasty stuff... My boat is a relatively small boat, and small boats tend to be fairly wet critters.

Get one that has some decent wattage, and you shouldn't even need an amplifier. You'll definitely want marinized speakers for the cockpit.

If you're installing speakers in the cockpit and they're not box mounts, you may want to install them behind deck plates that can be closed off in the case of heavy weather. I didn't do this on my boat, since the cockpit speakers open into a locker that drains overboard, not into the bilge. So, even if the cockpit speakers get punched out by a wave, they're not going to be a downflooding risk. Also, on a monohull, the risk of sinking due to speakers being punched out by a pooping wave is much higher than it is on a multihull.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-09-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
a couple of questions:

1.do you need to add an antenna up the mast to get fm reception.
2. any recommendations on speakers. something inexpensive but decent sound
3. any recommendations on stereo. i'm thinking of getting one with the aux. plug in the front for the ipod.
4. where in the cockpit should the speakers be mounted & how many. sd, i noticed in another post you had 2 on the starboard side mounted high where your back would rest. does that position give you good sound when under sail. i was thinking the same height but located towards the stern with the sound aimed towards the bow.
Old 12-09-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
west marine has a special sale on a radio with full ipod connector on the front. I think it was $99
Old 12-09-2008
Detachable member

i saw that today. i didn't know for that price if it was any good or not.
Old 12-09-2008
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
a couple of questions:

1.do you need to add an antenna up the mast to get fm reception.
No
Quote:
2. any recommendations on speakers. something inexpensive but decent sound
Where are you mounting them?? How much wattage are you pushing through them?? Without this information, it is hard to make a recommendation.
Quote:
3. any recommendations on stereo. i'm thinking of getting one with the aux. plug in the front for the ipod.
IMHO, you don't want one with an Aux plug for an iPod. You want one that uses a dock-type connector, so that it can charge and control the iPod. Alpine makes a few good iPod compatible units. I have this ALPINE unit in my truck. This PIONEER UNIT is a good choice, and only about $130.
Quote:
4. where in the cockpit should the speakers be mounted & how many. sd, i noticed in another post you had 2 on the starboard side mounted high where your back would rest. does that position give you good sound when under sail. i was thinking the same height but located towards the stern with the sound aimed towards the bow.
Look again, those are in the transom, facing forward, not on the starboard side. They work quite nicely, however, I almost never listen to the stereo under sail. I prefer to listen to the sounds of the wind and sea when sailing, since that gives me a lot of information about the sail trim without having to look. Also, listening to the stereo makes listening to the VHF tough.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-09-2008
Detachable member

thanks sd,
as far as the speakers, how much wattage do i need. i'm assuming it depends on how much the stereo puts out? is there a minimum wattage stereo i should be looking for? the speakers will be mounted in the cockpit.