Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-10-2008

nicferrante is on a distinguished road
Marelon y-valve and sea**** stuck!

Help! I have a seacock handle in my hand !

Our 1984 Islander 28 has Marelon seacocks (i believe) that appear to be stuck. The original paperwork from her birth states that is what was standard and I could not find any receipts that prove otherwise. We had one y-valve handle break in our hand last weekend and it did not let any water in but is now in need of repair. The seacock handle is also stuck and will not move but before we break another handle (and this one to a valve accessing the ocean!) is there anything we can do to trouble shoot this?

Here are our seperate theories...

I think that the valve is in need of lubrication? Could that be the problem and if so then what would be an appropriate lubricant ? The owners manuel does not mention lubrication.

My hubby thinks that there could be some sealife stuck in the external side of the thru hull. We did have her bottom painted in about March of this year and her bottom cleaned about one week ago and they said they cleared any visable debris on around the thru hulls.

If anyone has had any experience with these type of ball valves and any advice they could offer please do . . . . .
Hull#391

Last edited by nicferrante; 12-10-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nic-

Marelon ball valves and seacocks need to be exercised regularly, at least once a month, and lubed annually. If you don't do this, they will seize up and then when you try to turn the handle, the handle will break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-10-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
In correspondence with Marelon (yes there were happy to talk with me) after breaking a handle off, they said to actually loosen the the seacock as if unscrewing it from its base. Took less than 1/8 of a turn and it moved quite freely. And, I think they even sent me a new complete seacock.

I agree that they like to be exercised, but they can certainly be too tight as well. I took the hose off and turned it just a bit and thing were fine.

Last edited by rikhall; 12-10-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: to fix a typo
Old 12-11-2008

Question

thanks ! I will try to loosen it...if I were to lubricate the seacock does anyone have any suggestions of products to try?
Hull#391
Old 12-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lithium grease or LanoCote...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-12-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
When was the last time the boat was hauled?? If you need bottom paint, I would haul it first and take care if it on dry land.
Old 12-13-2008

we just hauled her out a few months ago

got her blisters taken care of, bottom painted and top sides polished. We were hoping not to have to haul her out until next spring again!
Hull#391
Old 12-13-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Lithium grease or LanoCote...
Lithium grease is a petroleum product, and Marelon is I believe a glass filled nylon. There also may be o-ring seals involved, possibly EPDM. So I think a safe bet all around would be a silicone grease, like a vacuum grease.
Old 12-13-2008
Telstar 28

Gary- Forespar recommends winch grease, lanocote or water pump grease. I'd imagine the winch grease is a petroleum product, so I doubt lithium grease is going to damage the seacock, if winch grease doesn't.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-13-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
If the maufactuer recommends it, then I am okay with it. However I work in the waste water industry and we have ots of problems on seals of all kinds from the wrong lubes. In general the silicone is safe on damn near anything, except body parts. That's why I suggested it.