SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   roller furling main (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/49685-roller-furling-main.html)

MikeGuyver 12-13-2008 12:05 PM

roller furling main

I am looking for information on a roller furling main that is not captive within the boom or mast. It looks like a roller headsail that has been adapted to a main.It is on a Cat.250. Can it perform?..without excess chafing? It is attached at the masthead and at the foot of the boom.

Giulietta 12-13-2008 12:14 PM

roller mains suck..especially the ones you are looking for. sorry

Giulietta 12-13-2008 12:15 PM

SEE THIS THREAD

Giulietta 12-13-2008 12:18 PM

FaMet Is... PEACE OF MIND

knothead 12-13-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGuyver (Post 416387)
I am looking for information on a roller furling main that is not captive within the boom or mast. It looks like a roller headsail that has been adapted to a main.It is on a Cat.250. Can it perform?..without excess chafing? It is attached at the masthead and at the foot of the boom.

With all due respect to Gui's opinion, the type of system you are describing can be a practical solution for a lot of people who are looking for the convenience of a main furler and don't have the money to purchase a new furling mast, boom or retrofit system.
With some modifications to the goose neck, a few custom made parts for the mast head, some work on the boom, a system can be rigged for not much more than the cost of rigging a new headsail furler.
You most certainly will sacrifice performance. But many people find that a price they are willing to pay.
We're not all racers.

Giulietta 12-13-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 416401)
With all due respect to Gui's opinion, the type of system you are describing can be a practical solution for a lot of people who are looking for the convenience of a main furler and don't have the money to purchase a new furling mast, boom or retrofit system.
With some modifications to the goose neck, a few custom made parts for the mast head, some work on the boom, a system can be rigged for not much more than the cost of rigging a new headsail furler.
You most certainly will sacrifice performance. But many people find that a price they are willing to pay.
We're not all racers.

agree..good point...sorry I sounded offensive

knothead 12-13-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giulietta (Post 416403)
agree..good point...sorry I sounded offensive

You didn't sound offensive to me. :)

I also agree that the Famet is a pretty good system. They are one of the simplest and most foolproof furlers on the market.

MikeGuyver 12-13-2008 12:54 PM

OK apology accepted.
I was looking for a small easy to handle boat that My wife and I could weekend on around the northwest when I saw this odd looking system. I didn't think it would work well,hence the question. My wife has some physical limitations and we were wondering if this set-up would be usable. I don't race and this boat may only see salt water once a year around Puget Sound or possibly In very good weather off the Oregon Coast...(that doesn't happen often)
Speed is irrelevent

Giulietta 12-13-2008 01:08 PM

It's good for that.
I was refering to performance .

Now beware that if it fails its worse than the norlmal system, and if you have a handicap crew, it could be worse...but keeping it well maiuntained should solve the isuue

xort 12-13-2008 01:08 PM

First, I would not say speed is irrelevent. it sucks going dead slow when there is a 6 k breeze and you'd rather sail than motor.
Second, do you really need a mainsail furler on a small boat like that? I do not know the answer. Just asking because it would seem the sail is fairly small and fairly easy to handle from the cockpit. But I won't make any assumptions.
Third, I do have an after mast furler and like it because it keeps me off the foredeck in pitching seas (hopefully). They do require more dilligence regarding maintenance, the sail has to be cut flatter and when the sail starts to bag it needs to go in for re-cutting sooner.