Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-13-2008
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road
Question roller furling main

I am looking for information on a roller furling main that is not captive within the boom or mast. It looks like a roller headsail that has been adapted to a main.It is on a Cat.250. Can it perform?..without excess chafing? It is attached at the masthead and at the foot of the boom.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
roller mains suck..especially the ones you are looking for. sorry
Old 12-13-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
SEE THIS THREAD

Last edited by Giulietta; 12-13-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2008

FaMet Is... PEACE OF MIND
Old 12-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGuyver View Post
I am looking for information on a roller furling main that is not captive within the boom or mast. It looks like a roller headsail that has been adapted to a main.It is on a Cat.250. Can it perform?..without excess chafing? It is attached at the masthead and at the foot of the boom.

With all due respect to Gui's opinion, the type of system you are describing can be a practical solution for a lot of people who are looking for the convenience of a main furler and don't have the money to purchase a new furling mast, boom or retrofit system.
With some modifications to the goose neck, a few custom made parts for the mast head, some work on the boom, a system can be rigged for not much more than the cost of rigging a new headsail furler.
You most certainly will sacrifice performance. But many people find that a price they are willing to pay.
We're not all racers.
Old 12-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
With all due respect to Gui's opinion, the type of system you are describing can be a practical solution for a lot of people who are looking for the convenience of a main furler and don't have the money to purchase a new furling mast, boom or retrofit system.
With some modifications to the goose neck, a few custom made parts for the mast head, some work on the boom, a system can be rigged for not much more than the cost of rigging a new headsail furler.
You most certainly will sacrifice performance. But many people find that a price they are willing to pay.
We're not all racers.
agree..good point...sorry I sounded offensive
Old 12-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
agree..good point...sorry I sounded offensive

You didn't sound offensive to me.

I also agree that the Famet is a pretty good system. They are one of the simplest and most foolproof furlers on the market.
Old 12-13-2008
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road
OK apology accepted.
I was looking for a small easy to handle boat that My wife and I could weekend on around the northwest when I saw this odd looking system. I didn't think it would work well,hence the question. My wife has some physical limitations and we were wondering if this set-up would be usable. I don't race and this boat may only see salt water once a year around Puget Sound or possibly In very good weather off the Oregon Coast...(that doesn't happen often)
Speed is irrelevent
Old 12-13-2008

It's good for that.
I was refering to performance .

Now beware that if it fails its worse than the norlmal system, and if you have a handicap crew, it could be worse...but keeping it well maiuntained should solve the isuue
Old 12-13-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
First, I would not say speed is irrelevent. it sucks going dead slow when there is a 6 k breeze and you'd rather sail than motor.
Second, do you really need a mainsail furler on a small boat like that? I do not know the answer. Just asking because it would seem the sail is fairly small and fairly easy to handle from the cockpit. But I won't make any assumptions.
Third, I do have an after mast furler and like it because it keeps me off the foredeck in pitching seas (hopefully). They do require more dilligence regarding maintenance, the sail has to be cut flatter and when the sail starts to bag it needs to go in for re-cutting sooner.