Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-13-2008

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Raymarine S1 wheel drive AP motor position

I am in the process of installing a new S1 wheel pilot and I have an edson pedestal with the single lever control mounted on the right side of the ped. This interferes with the motor for the AP and forces me to use slot #2 for the pedestal pin bracket.(this pin holds the back half of the "ring" stationary so the motor can turn the wheel) This position causes the AP motor to be very high on the left side of the pedestal and causes my compass to deviate.
I have already contacted Raymarine but probably won't hear from them till Mon or Tues. As anyone else had this problem, is it possible for me to make a new slot on the back of the AP ring (the half that is held stationary by the pedestal pin bracket) so I can position the motor lower. Are slots 1 and 2 some sort of default position?
Any feedback appreciated. BTW the boat is on the hard.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I don't see why you can't make a new slot so long as it doesn't interfer with the cam/belt mechanism.
Old 12-13-2008

Hi Ken,
I was thinking about it, the only thing that determines when and in what direction the motor turns is the heading derived from the flux gate compass.
The position of the motor or the wheel is not relevant, perhaps I was over thinking the situation.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Old 12-14-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Steve

In about a month I will be installing a S1 on my Irwin Citation 34. Any ideas, experiences or thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. And, of course, if anyone out there has installed a S1 on an IC34 - that information would be wonderful.

Thanks - feel free to send me a private message or to answer here.

Best of the Season to y'all
Old 12-16-2008

Hi Rik,
I did talk to Raymarine and I can cut a new slot in the back of the wheel pilot to locate the motor lower. This slot sit on a pin that I fastened to the pedestal tube, it's sole function is to keep the back of the wheel pilot stationary.
My thoughts would be to look into the built in gyro option for the wheel pilot. If this means you don't need the rudder position transducer then it my be worth it. The transducer on my boat is tough because of limited space to work as is the case on most boats. Another age old question is where is the best location for the control head, if you have the perfect spot let me know where that is.
I planning on putting it at the pedestal guard in a nav pod with my wd&s as I am planning on getting a remote also.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.