Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-17-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
Reminds me of Home Depot. Take the worse plumbing store you have ever been in, combine it with the worst electrical store, the worst garden center, ...
I found out about the plumbing the hard way. I always thought a faucet is a faucet is a faucet. Nope. The stuff you get a big-box "hardware" stores is not the same thing you get at a proper plumbing supply store. That came as quite a shock to me, lemme tell ya. Electrical? That's something I know a bit more about . I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any difference between electrical supplies at HD and anywhere else. Gardening is The Admiral's forte' (Certified Advanced Master Gardener), but I do know she gets some damn good deals on shrubs and trees at HD.

There used to be a local HW and lumber store just down the street that I always went to first. But they sold their property to make way for Yet Another Gigantic CVS Pharmacy (like the world needed another one of those), so HD and Lowe's is about all that's left . (There's an ACO nearby, but it sucks majorly in every respect.)

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
SemiJim has some really good local suppliers in his area, including the North Sails loft in Mt. Clemens, and most importantly Thomas Hardware in Grosse Pointe. I'm not surprised that he thinks it's important to support them.

Like Jim, I carefully consider the impact my purchases have on those who are a part of my community, whether it's intentionally shopping the Sailnet store, a local chandlery, the little auto parts store up the hill, or marinas in the San Juans.

Consequently, I have paid more to support my community and will continue to do so.

But I just can't justify the almost doubling in price quotes I have received from local, larger sail lofts, who were going to send the work overseas anyhow.

I get my sails from FX Sails, and have repairs and upgrades done at my local, family owned sail loft (Schattauer Sails) They happily work on my sails, and I'm happy to pay them, although it's certainly not cheap.

That's the compromise I've reached.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 12-20-2008

captainmidnight is on a distinguished road
Of course quality varies! Talk to sailors in your area, support your local sailmaker, it is likely he supports your local sailing community. Timely repairs, employing local people, helping out junior sailing, answering endless questions, going out on boats with customers, port meetings, that kind of thing...
Old 12-20-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I must reiterate about the quality of sails being built overseas vs local. Both of my sails, mainsail and jib where built in Hong Kong. For Dacron sails, almost all Dacron materials comes out of 3 factories around the world. The quality comes from the cut, how the tack, clew and head are sewn, the stitching, thread type and construction technique. On my sails the stitching was crap. On my jib the head tack broke clean off. The material they used there was substandard. After two years of light use I have already had to take my all sails to my local sailmaker, Doyle to be restitched. He gave me quite an education on sail construction. He took my crappy sails rebuilt them to last. What killed my sails where non UV threads used and substandard straps at the clew, tack and head. So buyer beware out there when ordering sails.
I did buy my new Asymmetrical sail from FX. The support they have been giving me is tremendous. The sail was built in the US not overseas. They always answer the phone and put up with my stupid questions. These guys love sailing and love to talk to customers about the proper way to set-up and fly their sails.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.