Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Volkhard-

I'd just go with a y-connector there... AFAICT, there's no need for a diverter valve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2008

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
Volkhard - thanks - now I can sleep well after my swim.

I knew that you knew.
Old 12-16-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I installed a lavac last year, with one y-valve (to pump overboard or to the holding tank), and another to select whether the hand pump pumps waste from the toilet, or from the holding tank (to empty tank when out past 3 miles). there is actuallly a 3rd y valve installed on the top of the holding tank, wheer you choose to direct the waste toward the lavac pump - overboard, or to the deck pump out.

Although it seems complicated, it does allow for a lot of flexiblilty.

One comment on the suggestion to direct all waste to the holding tank. We often sail a mile or so from shore, and the direct overboard allows the girls to pee, without filling up the holding tank (quickly). Guys can use it too, or piss overboard, just cause they can! If someone needs to use it for more than that, they switch the y-valve to tank and then back to overboard.

Then we have the option to pump out later at the marina, or discharge past 3 miles. With the flush water, you will fill a tank quite quickly if you use it for al the beer induced peeing.
Since we have washrooms at the marina, we don't use the head much at the dock.

The only downside to the extra valves is extra hose to connect them all, which takes more water to flush clean.
Old 12-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You are aware that using the head and discharging the water and PEE overboard within the three mile limit is illegal, and if you're caught doing so, can get hit with nasty fines... The law is written specifically forbidding any marine sanitary equipment discharging overboard within the three-mile limit—this includes the head or even a bucket or bottle you piss in... However, pissing directly overboard is legal, since it doesn't use any marine sanitary equipment... it doesn't violate the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
One comment on the suggestion to direct all waste to the holding tank. We often sail a mile or so from shore, and the direct overboard allows the girls to pee, without filling up the holding tank (quickly). Guys can use it too, or piss overboard, just cause they can! If someone needs to use it for more than that, they switch the y-valve to tank and then back to overboard.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-17-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Very interesting indeed. This is going to help me a lot (I hope)

My last boat had plumbing (which I installed so I have no one to blame but me) that made a nuclear reactor look simple.
  1. Head went to a "Y" valve. One side to thru hull, other side to holding tank.
  2. Holding thank had one in (from head) and four out.
    1. Two vents (as per Peggy Hall)
    2. one to pump out and
    3. one to a macerator pump.
  3. Macerator pump went to thru hull (controlled by another "Y" valve.)

It worked very well. I had room to do it and I was pleased.

My new boat currently has a "Y" valve at the head - one side to tank that has one vent, one side to thru hull through a vented loop. No way to empty the tank except via a pump out.

The tank is very close (2 feet) to the thru hull. I was going to do the two "Y" valves and a macerator pump like the old boat. But reading these posts, maybe I can:
  1. go from head to holding tank
  2. tank to a "Y" valve
  1. one side to pump out
  2. other side through a macerator then through the vented loop to the thru hull
I sure like the "everything goes through the tank and keeps it flushed and not built up" theory.

What am I missing??? Comments, suggestions?

Many thanks
Old 12-17-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Before going to all that trouble, consider a composting toilet. I put one in last summer and love it and will have no other on any boat I own in the future. I cheerfully dumped my smelly holding tank, hoses, pumps, valves etc. Now I have a simple head, the only moving part on it is a solar vent fan, no smells, no holes (I plan to remove and seal the 1 1/2 thruhull and should the CG come aboard to inspect the boat I will be in total compliance. I also gained the space where the holding tank used to be.

Take a look on the AirHead or Nature's Head websites (there are also a couple of other companies making composting toilets) for more info. I love mine and feel that it is the wave of the future.
Old 12-17-2008
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
  1. go from head to holding tank
  2. tank to a "Y" valve
  1. one side to pump out
  2. other side through a macerator then through the vented loop to the thru hull
I sure like the "everything goes through the tank and keeps it flushed and not built up" theory.

What am I missing??? Comments, suggestions?

Many thanks
This is probably your best bet. I'd use a diverter valve rather than just a "Y" on the pumpout hose. And, I'd use a manual diaphragm pump, rather than a macerator. The reason for the diverter is to prevent the deck pumpout fitting from trying to pull stuff through the diaphragm pump or macerator, especially if you've accidentally left the seacock open. The reason for the diaphragm pump rather than the macerator is that you can save electricity and even if your batteries are dead, you can still pump out the holding tank.

BTW, that's basically how the head on my boat is plumbed. Head ->holding tank. Holding tank to y-valve. y-valve to either deck or diaphragm pump/seacock/through-hull.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-17-2008

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
To all:

I just added a drawing to my original post. This should clarify things.
I agree with sailingdog in regard to the diaphragm pumps. My scheme uses 2: one above the head (came with the LaVac head) and a second one above the holding tank for discharge.

BTW: the holding tank features a second pickup so the pump out /thrudeck has its own connection to the tank and doesn't need a valve .

The whole waste system will than be non-electric (besides the tank monitor ....)

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Old 12-17-2008
Telstar 28

Manual is the better way to go with heads and plumbing on a boat... if you can get away with it... I've seen too many horror stories with macerator pumps and electric heads..

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-17-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd use a diverter valve rather than just a "Y" on the pumpout hose.
By "Y" valve I mean a valve like this one that I can actually turn so it is positive one way or the other.

or like this

What is a "diverter valve"?