Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
yup... some folks call a y-fitting a y-valve... just checking. BTW, if you're in an NDZ, the top one would make more sense.... gives the USCG and DNR a nice feeling to see a padlocked diverter valve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
OK - that takes care of the Y valve.

Tell me more about a manual waste diaphragm pump. Any recommendations.

We used a Jabsco macerator on the last boat and really liked it.
Old 12-17-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
SD - yes, I am aware that "legally" a woman cannot pee into the toilet, and flush it overboard, but she can hang her a$$ overboard, and it is legal. I may be wrong, but I was under the belief that she could also pee in a bucket, and then empty it overboard, without breaking the law. Either way, the pee is going in the water, so do you ask the girl to hang overboard (or go for a "swim"), or does she pee in the head, put the paper in a garbage can, and flush the pee overboard.

If everone plumbs directly to a holding tank, which will easily fill up, if you put every " pee" in there, then you will have a full tank, and likely have people dumping all of it's contents in the water, as things start to back up.

I am environmentally conscious, and normally not a law breaker. I do jay -walk from time to time, and remark others doing it as well. I do feel that it, along with peeing in the Atlantic ocean, are among the lesser crimes!

Sadly, cities like Saint John, NB still dispense approx 70% of the cities raw sewage, untreated, into the Bay of Fundy. The only reason it doesn't appear poluted, is the power of the 25' + tides that pretty much displaces everything.
Not sure about cruise ships either, but are they allowed to dump huge tanks, a few miles off shore, or is that illegal?
Old 12-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Northeaster-

Unfortunately, in the US at least, a bucket is considered marine sanitary equipment, and using it and then discharging the contents overboard is illegal. Don't know about Canadian law.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-17-2008
Telstar 28

Henderson Mk V is an old standby, and nearly bullet proof. Empties a holding tank very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
OK - that takes care of the Y valve.

Tell me more about a manual waste diaphragm pump. Any recommendations.

We used a Jabsco macerator on the last boat and really liked it.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-17-2008

Thumbs up

And the good news is that the Henderson Mk V is available at Defender! Many thanks - I might just go this route. And I like the low electrical consumption.
Old 12-18-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Hi Rik,

As mentioned, my lavac is set with an extra y-valve, so that the lavac' s henderson pump (used to flush the bowl) can also be used to empty the holding tank. Works fine, but I don't like the extra y-valve, and hose needed to get to the Y-valve and back, using the one "toilet" pump. If I were doing it again, I would have one Y-valve to select overboard or tank discharge, and then put a dedicated Henderson pump in the tank's discharge line, for times when you can't pump out at the dock. of course, this would require a 2nds Y-valve for the tank discharge option, usually at the top of the tank, close to the outlet.
Old 12-19-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I use my lavac with 2 pumps, one to flush and one to pump out the holding tank. Bought an extra lavac pump so I only have to carry one rebuild kit. Keeps things a little simpler.
Old 12-19-2008

Many thanks

OK - at this point I have:
  • a head (simple - like a Jabsco standard)
  • a poor (read cheap) "Y" valve
    • one side goes to a vented loop and to the thru hull
    • the other side goes to the holding tank
  • from the holding tank I have a hose to the "on deck" pump out.

I "think" I want
  • a head to the holding tank (I do not see why I need the vented loop)
  • holding tank
  • a good "Y" valve
    • one side goes to the "on deck" pump out
    • other side goes to a Henderson manual pump and then to the thru hull. (do I need the vented loop there????)

Thanks
Old 12-19-2008
Telstar 28

**The only reason you might want a vented loop in the line from the head to the tank, is if the head is significantly lower than the tank. You certainly don't want the tank putting pressure on the joker valve or back flushing into the head and overflowing the bowl.

If the head is at the same level or higher than the holding tank, you shouldn't need a vented loop.

***You shouldn't need a vented loop here for two reasons. First, you should be closing the sea **** when not actually pumping out the holding tank—so little or no chance to siphone. Second, even if you did leave it open, the diaphragm pump acts as a double check valve—minimizing any risk of siphoning from the ocean into the holding tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
I "think" I want
  • a head to the holding tank (I do not see why I need the vented loop)**
  • holding tank
  • a good "Y" valve
    • one side goes to the "on deck" pump out
    • other side goes to a Henderson manual pump and then to the thru hull. (do I need the vented loop there????)***
Thanks

Telstar 28
New England