Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-17-2008

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Sail cloth weight, important?

I am about to buy my first new mainsail. I was wondering do I need a 6.5 oz dacron sail cloth or can you go with 5.5oz? What is the difference, does it have to do with durability?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2008
Watkins 23

rrh is on a distinguished road
saurav16,
I can't give you a real definitive answer on this, but with a little more information, I'll bet you will get some good advice. The lighter fabric is for lighter wind and likewise heavier fabric for heavier wind. It also depends on the size of the sail and the boat it goes on. 5.5 sounds a bit light for a main. I have a genoa that weight and it is great for wind up to about 12 knots. Over 15 really want to go to a heavier and smaller sail. I only have one main, so it is considerably heavier.
Richard
Old 12-17-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16 View Post
I am about to buy my first new mainsail. I was wondering do I need a 6.5 oz dacron sail cloth or can you go with 5.5oz? What is the difference, does it have to do with durability?
Surav please update your profile to include your boat model and length!!! It's very tough to answer questions about sail weight without knowing your sailing grounds, intended use and your boat model and size... It only takes a few minutes heck create a signature and include it in that... Please help us help you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-17-2008

Sure thing, here you go, my info:

1979 Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Day sailor on the
Hudson River-NY
Old 12-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Ask the sailmaker how strong of a wind the cloths with handle. Also, some, not all cloths, the lighter may be stronger than the heavier. Altho comparing Dac. the heavier should be stronger. But if you do not plan on being out in anything stronger than 20-25knts, 5.5 oz may work for you boat.

You might also contact artbyjody, as he has new kevlar sails to a C27T that he may want to dispose of, as his C27 is pretty much junk. I have his genoa, he has the main. May be a good way to get better than dac for less.

Marty
Old 12-17-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
This depends very much on your intentions. Fair-weather (under 20 knots in your case) sailing would be enhanced by a lighter weight of main, but you would have to reef a little earlier and be conscious of chafe a little more than if you had the heavier weight of sail. This is why in the old days before furling, racers would have a light No. 1 Genoa good on a 30 footer, say, to 12 knots and a heavy No. 1 (same dimensions, heavier cloth) good to possibly 20 knots. From such distinctions were races won. Having exploded a light No. 1 on my own boat, I can say that there are definite limits to the ability of certain weights of sail cloth to sustain wind pressures.
Old 12-17-2008

This sail is used and has no reefs. But I am sure reefs can be put in by a sail loft?

1979 Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Day sailor on the
Hudson River-NY
Old 12-17-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Sure, reefing points can be put in by a loft. But IMHO if the wind is strong enough that you have to reef, 5.5 oz dacron seems a bit light!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Surav

Before you buy a used sail that may require some tweaking at added expense by a local loft you shoud consider buying new from National Sail Supply. Dirk specializes in Catalina sails and has the best quality to price ratio I know of.

A brand new 6.5 oz main sail for your tall rig from Dirk is only $639.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell Sail Care would charge nearly that much just to clean an old one!!

National Sail Supply Catalina 27 Tall Rig Sails (LINK)

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Have to admit, for that, ie 639 plus 50 or so ea for a 2nd reef, cunningham, logo. Not a bad price, almost too cheap to even think about a used sail! My new main was $3000, but I went with a UK tape drive. An equal dac sail could have been had for 1000-1500 for my rig.

marty