Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Downwind-Aysm? Whisker Pole? Both?

If your boat is equipped with an Asym in a snuffer sleeve, would you also want a whisker pole to pole out the genny? Which would you consider more versatile for coastal cruising usually with a crew of 2? What are the conditions where one would be preferable to the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2008
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
my boat is a nimble 30 express sloop. i have 2 asym s in snuffers, one smaller than the other. i have a retractable carbon fiber bowsprit 12' long. the aft end is on a semicircular track that allows the sprit to swing from side to side with the tack through a block on the forward end. the sprit extends about 5' out from the bow. i don't have a whisker pole for the genny, but i think one would help under some wind conditions
Old 12-18-2008

newpbs is on a distinguished road
Asym Set Up

I've flown my asym a little this past summer and it was a blast. I don't remember wanting a wiskerpole, but a bowsprit would be very welcome. A bowsprit would increase the exposure that my asym would have to the wind.

captbillc-Your bowsprit sounds interesting. Is it aftermarket? Any idea where I could obtain a set up like yours?

Paul
Old 12-18-2008
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
newpbs---- you can see a picture of it in my pictures in sailnet photo gallery. the previous owner who had this boat built in 1994 designed the system and had it installed here in duluth, mn before i started sailing with him in 1988. he sold the boat to me in 2003. i thought he was going to sail with me , but he died 3 weeks later. i have some pictures i can send via email , but close up will have to wait for spring--late april here. the boat is on its trailer along side my garage, covered up . our high temp yesterday was -2 F my email is captbillc@gmail.com
Old 12-19-2008

captainmidnight is on a distinguished road
different animals

Poled out genoas are great when the wind is up, but genoas are designed to go upwind not down. A modern assym in a snuffer on a GBS by Selden is a pleasure and livens up a lazy afternoon, or club racing.
Old 12-19-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
I found an asym was ok on a broad reach, but too close to downwind was a hassle to keep drawing so using a pole made for a greater range in direction and generally better speed as well as ease.
Old 12-19-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I just got my asymmetrical sail (A-sail) and I love it. It too is in a ATN sleeve. However to answer your question about a whisker pole, the answer is yes I use both. The variables are many and depends on which type of boat you have and mast set-up.
My boat has a B&R rig and doesn't go dead downwind (DDW) very well. The jib is small and almost worthless. The only way for me to go dead downwind is wing to wing. It is not a good sail plan. If I pole out the jib my options are many and the boat move well. Wind speed plays a big factor here. In light winds, less than 10 knots I have to pole out the jib to sail. In moderate winds (10-15) I have to be careful on helm control to keep the sails from gybing and using the whisker pole helps here a lot. In heavy winds I just use the mainsail.
The asymmetrical sail I haven't poled out yet DDW but was told I could with some limitations on wind angle from the stern. Since I singlehand the boat, I am not going to go there with that set-up. Maybe others with more experience here can. However with the asymmetrical sail in my arsenal, sailing is now a pleasure with the wind aft of the beam. With the ATN sleeve I can sail my boat alone. I set-up my all my lines aft to the cockpit.
Masthead rigs sail much better DDW and the argument for a pole out jib/Genny can be made in light winds. I don't think I would pole out a Genny bigger than 130% especially in winds greater than 13 knots with a crew of two. The only time I pole out my jib is on a long run greater than 45 minutes for the effort it takes to set it up. Maybe if I had someone else on-board that might change the time somewhat.
The bottom line is really your boat and your sailing area. If the winds are predominately out of a direction that would require you going DDW and winds are light most of the time, I would definitely consider a whisker pole. The other consideration is the time it takes to set up the pole and if you need to gybe a lot with a short hand crew. Most people think it is too much effort for all that work. Take out precious time from pure enjoyment of sailing and beer drinking (or your favorite adult beverage).
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 12-19-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2008

captainmidnight is on a distinguished road
jib on a stick

In very heavy winds try dousing the main and letting the jib pull you along. Much less pressure on the helm. If you have roller furling just roll out as much or as little as you need/want! In heavy conditions with wind and waves behind you a B&R rig main will be driving the bow down and boat will want to spin out, jib on a stick is the way to go!
Old 12-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You mean like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
In very heavy winds try dousing the main and letting the jib pull you along. Much less pressure on the helm. If you have roller furling just roll out as much or as little as you need/want! In heavy conditions with wind and waves behind you a B&R rig main will be driving the bow down and boat will want to spin out, jib on a stick is the way to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-19-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
A few times with my AS I have poled it out. I have done the tack a few times, works, altho not enough time to say I have it ALL figured out as of yet. I've also poled out the clew a few times, works ok also, but again, not enough time to say it always works.

With a Genoa, yes DDW with the clew poled out works well wing on wing.

I also have a mast head setup.

Also as I am typing this, some of the ACC boats are using AS spins with a pole on the tack to pull it to the opposite side a small amount. They then do not use a symetric near as i can tell as primary sail. I could also be a bit wrong on this too.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.