Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-21-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Our companionway steps were looking pretty weathered, and The Admiral just used some kind of cleaning prep on them and teak oil. (Picked both up at a local hardware store.) I would never have believed it possible, but they look brand new again. Seriously. And they're not slippery.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
My steps were a std Varnish that came with my 85 Jeanneau. When I refinished the flooring, I redid the stairs with Ultimate Sole as others have done too. No issues in two yrs as of yet! Not sure I would want to use a std Varnish of some sort.

Marty
Old 12-21-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
The PO had the stick on strips which I thought were ugly. Especially since they were beginning to turn up at the edges and were leaving sticky residue in their wake.

I was looking at a copy of "The World's Best Sailboats Vol II" and saw that Sabre uses sacrificial strips of ash that are slightly proud of the step (raised up above the tread) about 1/8". I ended up routing three 1/4" wide grooves in each tread and inserting a 1/4" x 1/4" x 10" ash strip in each groove. The ash is about 1/8" above the tread and forms a really great non skid cleat. I used a drop of epoxy at each end of the strip to attach it to the tread so that they would be easy to remove when the time came to replace them. The strips are finished with 2 coats of satin urethane. The steps have 5 coats of semi-gloss urethane.

I was afraid that I would end up catching a heel on the tread, but it hasn't happened in 4 years. These non-skid strips are better than any peel-n-stick and are far more attractive, IMHO. I could find some pics if anyone is interested.
Old 12-21-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
Hey Melrna, did you manage to ply the soft liner off the coachroof ? Was it as easy as ABC ?
No not yet. I have tried twice and made two calls to Hunter. It is a horrible set-up. Liner is very stretchable and can tear easily. I will post on my blog when I figure it all out.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Looks like Ultimate Sole is the way to go. Camaraderie not sure what kind of strips you are using. Can you please explain a little more? The first two steps are not my problem, it is that third step while descending that I have a footing problem. Why I am interested in a gritty solution.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 12-21-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I was afraid that I would end up catching a heel on the tread, but it hasn't happened in 4 years. These non-skid strips are better than any peel-n-stick and are far more attractive, IMHO. I could find some pics if anyone is interested.
I would love to see pics. My steps already have a groove in them and won't be hard to modify. Might be my best solution yet.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 12-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second/third/fourth the recommendations for Ultimate Sole as the finish to use. I'd also recommend the clear non-skid strips designed for bath tub use. They're waterproof, and tough, and generally close to invisible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.