Got a picture of a storm srysail mounted on separate mast track? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-07-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumaggafanny View Post
Here's your sign, Ummm Picture.
Storm sail and spitfire jib, my heavy weather gear...
Nice looking sailboat. The picture didn't come across right away, but looking a right-click properties I found it easily. Here it is again:

Thanks for posting. It is normal to have it mounted that high? I supposed it has to clear the boom on either side.

It looks like the same thing as a gale sail, that it fastens around the mast (gale sail does it around the rolled-up jib).

Last edited by Bene505; 02-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
To the original question looking for pictures of separate tracks on the mast for a storm trysail, here's a pic that shows the setup on my father's former boat:

You can see the track on the starboard side of the mast starting at about the height of the top of the cowl vents running up past the coiled halyard, the gooseneck, winch and then alongside the main sail track.
Looking over these pictures, all I can say is thanks. (That and I'm reading Storm Tactics by the Pardeys, which talks a lot about tri-sails.) I didn't know you could add a separate track. I thought it was built into the mast form the get-go. Now I see it is an add-on, quite nice.
Old 02-07-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
bene-

see here where they say:

Quote:

Area determination - Method # 1

Choice A. Decide whether the sailing is done with a well experienced racing crew with ample manpower under all conditions. If so, then the area of the storm jib may be up to 5-1/2% of I≤.

Choice B. If the sailing is done with just a family where the crew consists of father, mother and children or similar light crew, then it is strongly recommended that the area of the storm jib be limited to 3% to 3.5% of I2.

EXAMPLE: If the I of the boat is 30í0, then I 2 will be 900. Therefore 3% of 900 equals a storm jib area of 27 square feet; 3.5% of 900 + 31.5 sq. feet; and 5.5% of 900=49.5 sq. ft. storm jib area.

Area determination - Method # 2

Choice A. Determine whether a working jib is shown on your sail plan. We mean a jib that is about 80% to 90% of the foretriangle area, not a lapper jib. Write down each of the three side-edge dimensions of that working jib.

For semi-protected waters, the storm jib should be limited to the following:
Maximum storm jib luff = 2/3 of the working jib luff, maximum storm jib leach = 2/3 of the working jib leach, and maximum storm jib foot = 2/3 of the working jib foot.

Choice B. For off-shore work, limit the storm jib edge dimensions to a maximum of one-half of the corresponding working jib edge dimensions.

SD,

I picked up a slightly used ATN GaleSale, 60 square feet. After being in 50 knot winds on Long Island sound last October, I simply wanted something to keep the bow down when sailing under double reefed main, without risking the roller furled jib blowing out or having a furler failure. Anyway, that's what I was thinking, so I wanted something very small. I plan to practice with it to see how it goes.

I is 18.89 meters. 3% of I squared that would be 113, so it's really on the small side.

Regards,
Brad
Old 02-07-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Below are several photos of our trysail on it's separate track. The first photo is with the sail set. Note where the trys'l tack is positioned on the mast -- it's just above the head of the stowed main. This point is about 8 feet off the deck. Therein lies the logic for the second, dedicated trysail track. Even if we had a break in the main track at that point which would allow us to bend the trysail on (without removing the main), imagine how difficult it would be to feed the trysail into the mainsail track while you're clinging to the mast 8 feet off a pitching deck.

(((See his post for picture)))

The shot below shows the trysail track paralleling the mainsail's track on the stbd side of the mast. The trys'l track is a standard SS sail track. It's screwed to the mast with SS screws. The SS track is insulated from the AL mast with a specialized tape. Screws are treated with Tufgel. As you can see in the first photo above, the track terminates at a point above the lower spreaders. Where the track passes over the spreader root it's raised off the mast with a strip of rubber. In this photo the trys'l is in it's bag at the base of the mast.

(((See his post for picture)))

At the lower right of the photo below you can see how the trys'l track runs nearly all the way to deck level, which allows the sail to be secured in tis bag right at deck level.

Billy,

Thank you for the excellent post. I can clearly see how it all works.

Regards